Ingredients in electronic cigarettes nicotine liquid

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CrazyWeimLady_*

Guest_CrazyWeimLady_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:35 AM

I'm looking for clarification on the various "ingredients" in nicotine liquid. It's my understanding that almost all of what is sold in the US or made by DIY'ers contain at most 5 ingredients:

PG - Propylene Glycol
VG - Vegetable Glycerine
Everclear/PGA - alcohol?
food safe flavoring
Nicotine liquid in varying strengths - combination of pure nicotine and PG

The liquid will contain either PG or VG or a combination of both. Most liquids have flavorings, but some people use liquid without. The nicotine liquid is used in any liquid above 0mg nic. The Everclear/PGA is used as a thinner and or for throat hit.

Have I got this right? Can anyone elaborate further? For you DIY'ers any other ingredients that you know of?

#2 Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationIn a house

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:41 AM

Don't tell me MustangSallie you don't know what ur inhaling?
Smoke Free and Nicotine free nothing controls me... I control it

Posted Image

If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one.

#3 fonedude

fonedude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:01 AM

I'm looking for clarification on the various "ingredients" in nicotine liquid. It's my understanding that almost all of what is sold in the US or made by DIY'ers contain at most 5 ingredients:

PG - Propylene Glycol
VG - Vegetable Glycerine
Everclear/PGA - alcohol?
food safe flavoring
Nicotine liquid in varying strengths - combination of pure nicotine and PG

The liquid will contain either PG or VG or a combination of both. Most liquids have flavorings, but some people use liquid without. The nicotine liquid is used in any liquid above 0mg nic. The Everclear/PGA is used as a thinner and or for throat hit.

Have I got this right? Can anyone elaborate further? For you DIY'ers any other ingredients that you know of?

That pretty well sums it up. The nicotine liquid is usually the PG/VG ingredient.

Sometimes the PGA is an ingredient in the flavoring.

The only other ingredient I can think of off hand would be distilled water. Also may be uses as a thinner.
Gary

#4 renstyle

renstyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:42 AM

I gave an answer in another post, I'll copy it here just in case you haven't seen it (not sure on the rules for linking to diff posts). If I was incorrect to copy/paste, please let me know.

You can take "e-liquid" down to just two components: Nicotine USP and Propylene Glycol USP. I believe fonedude has used (and has at one time preferred) a similar mix, possibly with just VG and some pga to thin it out. Either way we are talking about 2 or three ingredients.
---
The one and only bottle of liquid nicotine I have purchased has this on the label:

Nicotine (C10H14N2) USP

I've seen "USP" on alot of things I pick up at Walgreens, such as rubbing alcohol and witchhazel, etc. I wasn't certain who/what USP was, so I had to look it up:

http://www.usp.org/aboutUSP/

About USP

The United States Pharmacopeia (USP) is a non–governmental, official public standards–setting authority for prescription and over–the–counter medicines and other healthcare products manufactured or sold in the United States. USP also sets widely recognized standards for food ingredients and dietary supplements. USP sets standards for the quality, purity, strength, and consistency of these products–critical to the public health. USP's standards are recognized and used in more than 130 countries around the globe. These standards have helped to ensure public health throughout the world for close to 200 years.

The nicotine was sourced in America (which was a big selling point for me), using a type of Virginian tobacco leaf. This is the same pharmaceutical nicotine that goes into the Nicotrol inhaler, nicorette gum, and the nicotrol patch. I'm not certain about other brands, but I assume since they are FDA approved they would have to use USP grade nicotine in their products as well.

Technically speaking, you could make liquid for an ecig with just two ingredients: this USP grade nicotine and USP grade propylene glycol, leaving out the vegetable glycerine, any flavoring, water, pga (alcohol), etc.

I can totally see their aversion to a product that is not FDA approved, but I still cannot wrap my head around this 2000 ingredients thing. This stuff can be made at home, I have done this, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but they are off by a factor of a thousand at worst, a factor of 400x if you count the flavorings and stuff.

#5 Flaming

Flaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:49 AM

Most eliquids dont have alcoholic in them..course a few do, but hardly most.

adding to the list...
menthol crystals.
Splendex or Stevia (sweeteners)

#6 Misday

Misday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

The only question mark is the flavorings because I'm guessing the majority of them have more than one ingredient. Hopefully with FDA regulation there will come some elboration on what's in the flavoring.
A taste for irony has kept more hearts from breaking than a sense of humor, for it takes irony to appreciate the joke which is on oneself.

Jessamyn West

#7 fonedude

fonedude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

Most eliquids dont have alcoholic in them..course a few do, but hardly most.

adding to the list...
menthol crystals.
Splendex or Stevia (sweeteners)

That reminds me. To me tobacco absolute and tobacco extract (both non-nicotine) would fall under the same category as the menthol crystals. Or flavoring. Not sure.
Gary

#8 Deadcat2

Deadcat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

Let's not forget, electronic cigarette liquid can contain zero nicotine.
I am not positive, but if you broke it down as far as possible, you could probably vape pure PG liquid.

#9 renstyle

renstyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:04 AM

Let's not forget, electronic cigarette liquid can contain zero nicotine.
I am not positive, but if you broke it down as far as possible, you could probably vape pure PG liquid.

I can verify this works just fine. You can use just plain Propylene Glycol USP, or plain Vegetable Glycerin, food grade by themselves in an ecig. Has a somewhat sweet taste (especially the VG). All with no nicotine.

#10 SimplySimon

SimplySimon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

Here in Korea, it's fairly easy to know what you're getting, as ecigs are a government approved "Reduced Harm Tobacco Product" and have all ingedients listed, by law.

And...my liquids, at least based on the couple of bottles I have left, contained pretty much what you guys are listing.

A thought about alcohol. Several people have talked about the use of Pure Grain Alcohol (PGA) in ecigs, and there seems to be a tendency to equate it with consuming alcohol.

As I understand it, PGA is rarely used in commercial e-liquids, but is popular with DIYers. Some folks also add a big of PGA to thin commercial liquids.

I wouldn't equate this with alcohol consumption, just because the quantities involved are far too tiny to have any effect at all. Ten months ago, when I was still early in my vaping period, I ran into a bottle of cheap liquid that was thick gloopy, and produced hardly any vapor. Someone recommended adding 5 drops of PGA to the 10 ml bottle. I did, and it helped a little.

The two reasons for using PGA in eliquid are: to thin the liquid so it flows better, and the increase vapor, cause it vaporizes easily.

Think of the quantities, though- 5 drops, in a 10ml bottle. THe bottle itself wouldn't fill a shotglass. But I never vaped more than 2ml a day. So...I was increasing my alcohol consumption, on a heavy vaping day, by...1/2 drop.

Not significant.

Vape if it helps keep you off the cigarettes, people.

But if you want to get drunk, you're gonna have to do it the old-fashioned way, and drink the stuff. ;-)

Best,
SS

#11 renstyle

renstyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

Another good use for PGA is to give those that desire it the "throat hit" sensation that is usually given by nicotine. It is a workable substitute, and (for me anyway) makes my zero-nic juice something I can make locally, with supplies purchased at local stores (mainly Walgreens and Hobby Lobby). Wally world covers most of it too.

I mention this, since PGA (along with mint and menthol) have been extremely helpful in verifying that my needs were not being met by nicotine, since I'm just fine w/o the chemical in my system.

#12 Guest_cigarbabe_*

Guest_cigarbabe_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:19 AM

Here in Korea, it's fairly easy to know what you're getting, as ecigs are a government approved "Reduced Harm Tobacco Product" and have all ingedients listed, by law.

And...my liquids, at least based on the couple of bottles I have left, contained pretty much what you guys are listing.

A thought about alcohol. Several people have talked about the use of Pure Grain Alcohol (PGA) in ecigs, and there seems to be a tendency to equate it with consuming alcohol.

As I understand it, PGA is rarely used in commercial e-liquids, but is popular with DIYers. Some folks also add a big of PGA to thin commercial liquids.

I wouldn't equate this with alcohol consumption, just because the quantities involved are far too tiny to have any effect at all. Ten months ago, when I was still early in my vaping period, I ran into a bottle of cheap liquid that was thick gloopy, and produced hardly any vapor. Someone recommended adding 5 drops of PGA to the 10 ml bottle. I did, and it helped a little.

The two reasons for using PGA in eliquid are: to thin the liquid so it flows better, and the increase vapor, cause it vaporizes easily.

Think of the quantities, though- 5 drops, in a 10ml bottle. THe bottle itself wouldn't fill a shotglass. But I never vaped more than 2ml a day. So...I was increasing my alcohol consumption, on a heavy vaping day, by...1/2 drop.

Not significant.

Vape if it helps keep you off the cigarettes, people.

But if you want to get drunk, you're gonna have to do it the old-fashioned way, and drink the stuff. ;-)

Best,
SS

I'm loving your last line!
"Vape if it helps keep you off the cigarettes, people.
But if you want to get drunk, you're gonna have to do it the old-fashioned way, and drink the stuff. ;-)"

Great post by the way thank you for sharing. :)
C.B.Posted Image

#13 SimplySimon

SimplySimon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:52 AM

Thank YOU.

Now that I'm not vaping, when I want alcohol, I have to use a glass.

(NOT PGA. YUCK.)

SS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users