#1 Flaming

Flaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

Just some general advise........

Purchase by MODEL not by BRAND. All "manufactured" ecigs come from a handful of factories...and they are all basically the same thing. Paying 100-200 more for the fancy name, box, and label the supplier put on there isnt worth your money.

The smaller the battery the shorter the life, the less power it has.

If it's simply unbelievable..it likely is. Cigarette sized, 5v, lasted 48 hours and the cartomizer is equal to a carton ecigs..dont exist! (disappointing I know, but they dont...)

Watch out for mall venders, there is a whole One good one in the whole country that I've heard of. Typically they are rip offs, with employees who cant tell you the different between a cartomizer and a atty.

Juice averages around .50 a ml....a Few companies reach 1.00 ml, some are much cheaper at .30. Dont ever pay 30.00 for 15mls!
Know what your purchasing...is it US made? what type of facility was it made it? When was it made? PG/VG ratio?
Is it Dekang(chinese) lot of rip off places are purchasing DK and relabeling it...however DK puts a very small "DKNY" on the edge of their bottles. (nothing really wrong with dekang, some folks like it some folks dont...but it's cheap and to often peddled for way to much)

#2 Deadcat2

Deadcat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

Good idea for a thread topic...

The first exposure most people have to electronic cigarettes is from one of the following:
--Something from a mall kiosk, liquor store, or tobacco shop
--Something from a slick website for a company that does a lot of advertisting
--Something that pops up first when they Google electronic cigarettes

Although there are exceptions, these types of products are usually very underwhelming and vastly overpriced.

When it comes to trying an electronic cigarette is pays to find a good forum and ask some questions.
Solid information from a bunch of folks who have been there and done that is invaluable.
:)

#3 Flaming

Flaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

Posted Image

#4 Flaming

Flaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

The most recommended Newbie Ecigs.... When folks ask "Which one should I get?" These are the Top three that keep coming up again and again.
Please note these can be purchased from Many different suppliers, not advertising for any one supplier.

The 510
Posted Image
Posted Image
Price: averages around 35 for a basic starter kit.
Size: About the same length as a 100 cig
Standard kits are a three piece system, a battery/atomizer/cart. *they also make cartomizers for the 510s
Come in both Auto and manual batteries. Auto is more smoke like meaning you just draw on it and it turns on, however can be a problem as it's an open battery and juice can get into the battery. Suggest the manual, the button takes a day or two to get use to but it's not as big a deal as one would think.
Pros: small size, the 510 atty size is pretty universal so upgrading(if you choose to) is pretty easy no need to purchase new hardware.
Cons: Battery Life, these dont last very long pending how often you vape(correlates to how heavy a smoker you are) last an hour to three hours.

The eGo/Rivas
Posted Image
Price: about 50.00 for a starter kit.
Size: Best comparison I have it's it's Not much taller then the 510 and the battery width and height is about the same as a chipstick. :lol:
eGo's are 510 threaded, so they use the same attys as the 510..have a several of different attys that can be used with them standards, low resistance(warmer harder hit then standards), 510 cartomizers and ego-Tanks.
Has a cone, covering the atty, this is for looks mostly but is also to control airflow.
Pros: Much longer battery life 4-6 hours. lots of accessories like the ego USB passthrough and mega ego which are 900mah instead of the standard 650.
Posted Image
Cons: can be a bit bulky for newbies, but these are what a lot of folks end up useing and are very happy with.

The 808-D
Posted Image
Price: Around 40.
Size: same diameter as a cig, similar height to eGo.
These are....Can be a less fussy system. Two piece and only use cartomizers(which are where the atty and cart are combined)
You can purchase prefilled cartos from several places or buy empties from just about anywhere and fill them yourself.
Pros: battery life is greater then the standard 510's
Cons: Battery life still isnt that much.
(personally never used the 808 so if any 808 user would like to throw in go for it) :)

#5 Misday

Misday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

Anyone know if it would be permisible to recommend a list of vendors for these? I don't want to cross any lines but some of the better vendors I might not have ever found if not for ECF.
A taste for irony has kept more hearts from breaking than a sense of humor, for it takes irony to appreciate the joke which is on oneself.

Jessamyn West

#6 fonedude

fonedude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

Anyone know if it would be permisible to recommend a list of vendors for these? I don't want to cross any lines but some of the better vendors I might not have ever found if not for ECF.

I don't think the current posting guidelines allow for that. But I think anyone interested can just do a search on the name of the product. I don't see that as a problem for them. We have to change our mind-set a little at this forum.

There are normal prices listed above. If anyone were to go to a site and see a product way above those prices I would recommend they keep on searching. Just my opinion.
Gary

#7 Misday

Misday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

I was only asking because I ended up buying a rebranded 510. I could get an ego for less than I paid for it yanno what I'm saying. The big sites that do all the advertising mark up their stuff and are unfortunately easier to find. Don't remember if I searched by model though.
A taste for irony has kept more hearts from breaking than a sense of humor, for it takes irony to appreciate the joke which is on oneself.

Jessamyn West

#8 fonedude

fonedude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

I was only asking because I ended up buying a rebranded 510. I could get an ego for less than I paid for it yanno what I'm saying. The big sites that do all the advertising mark up their stuff and are unfortunately easier to find. Don't remember if I searched by model though.

Good point. In my experience the slicker the site the more wary I am. It is definitely a learning experience. The first kit I bought was from a local smoke shop. The price was around $50 and its really not a bad e-cig. But of course now it's just a backup. But I also haven't smoked a cigarette since so I figure it was fiddy well spent.
Gary

#9 Misday

Misday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Well perhaps this.... Don't pay more than $50.00 for your 1st kit unless its a large kit IE extra batteries, a carrying case, or charging case...?

Jessamyn West

#10 fonedude

fonedude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

Well perhaps this.... Don't pay more than $50.00 for your 1st kit unless its a large kit IE extra batteries, a carrying case, or charging case...?

Great advice. And I might also add, because I don't see it addressed, that fifty bucks should include two complete e-cigs. In other words two batteries and at least two atomizers/cartomizers. Don't pay that much for just one.

If you are buying a disposable just to try it out then there will only be one of course. Even some of those are better than others. I don't highly recommend them but can see some use for them.
Gary

#11 SnoopyFish

SnoopyFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

If you use Google shopping, sort by price, and only buy from vendors with good ratings, you can't go wrong.

#12 Misday

Misday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:10 AM

If you use Google shopping, sort by price, and only buy from vendors with good ratings, you can't go wrong.

Good tip Snoopy :)

Jessamyn West

#13 Curvychic

Curvychic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:44 AM

I think this is great information!! I only wish that this information would have been readily available to me before making my first purchase at one of the local gas stations. Like fonedude said though, it was money well spent because it picqued my interest in finally quitting the cigarettes for good since cold turkey didn't work for me (personally) the three times I tried!
I have been tobacco free since April 13, 2011. I am an ecig supporter, but most importantly, I support people! :D
The problem to be faced is: how to combine loyalty to one's own tradition with reverence for different traditions.
- Abraham Joshua Heschel

#14 Roland

Roland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:46 AM

A couple of points:

1) Never sign up for any form of free trial offer, they are without exception rip-offs.
2) Do not google something like "e-cg review" and expect to find balanced information. 90%+ of the results will lead you to sites which are doing no more than shill-ing their own over priced products.
3) Do not expect any e-cig to actually taste like smoking tobacco does. It's different, very different. (Personally I think that's one of the reasons e-cigs are effective, and don't lead you back to tobacco.)
4) If you're short of money don't discount the idea of buying from China, support local business if you can but if you need to save some money China is probably the cheapest way to go.
5) Spend several days researching and reading before you spend a cent, if you don't it will cost you money in the long run.

Cheers
Roland
Posted Image
The data above is for myself and my lovely wife, combined. So far we've spent about $1.2K on e-cig supplies.

#15 shc

shc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

To me the biggest hurtle was not the equipment but finding the right eliquid.
I started like most folks with an inexpensive 510 setup. That turned on the lightbulb but I could tell that it was going to be a struggle unless I could find something that was easy to use, would last all day and give me the sensation of a tobacco cigarette. I was lucky early on to find one that was adjustable (variable voltage) and to me that makes a huge difference. It also had enough battery power to last all day. It cost me about $125 and at the time it seemed very expensive but it turned out to be cheap. It is the only device I have used for a year, it’s still going strong and I haven’t had to spend another dime on a PV.
It was a big struggle to find the right eliquid. That took six months.
Posted Image

#16 Cil

Cil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

[2) Do not google something like "e-cig review" and expect to find balanced information. 90%+ of the results will lead you to sites which are doing no more than shill-ing their own over priced products.*]

If you do that in the UK you'll end up at Scotts review site, which will give you lots of information but might be a bit daunting, but what it does have is a myriad of reviews and discount codes.

I just want to point out this site doesn’t sell e-cigs and I haven't any affiliation with it, it is just what will come up first from a Google search.

#17 The Big Chief

The Big Chief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

Main thing to remember about e cigs, is it can be a journey. Finding that right model or liquid can be daunting, yes. But as with everything, you can expect some bloopers, and even myself and fam got snookered into a few overpriced, under performing kits. Yes, my first was a mall kiosk for $150. It was horrible, but it got me started, so it wasnt a total loss. Would I pay 150 now?...oh hell no. But I know everything there is to know now. But for under 100 bucks, you can grab a great kit with bells and whistles to get started now., and some liquid to keep em going for a while. Some kits go for well under that now, but name brand manufacturers are 50-100 range. Personally, I set out for a specific manufacturer from china, regardless of company name stamped on it, but their are a couple other good ones to save a few bucks.
The point isnt to bicker over money aspects, but just to DO SOMETHING...Nothing great was ever done while standing there idle. If you feel it might help your cause, then get a little info, and get going, make it happen. This forum has every possible way of quitting, and all info or experienced people for each. Now just choose the path, and take the steps. Plenty off support, regardless of chosen path.

#18 vaping fiore

vaping fiore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

I was in the same boat. I first found the mall brand about 2 years ago. This was a good thing for It started me out & furthered my investigation into e-cigs.
Whatever you do keep the one goal in mind. To stop smoking. Look for a kit that you can use as 2 fully functioning e-cigs like an echo kit. There have been many improvements Like battery life & cartomizers & liquid. The new echo kit is my newest toy. Try to find info on blogsites from other users. Whatever you do do not sign up for any subscriptions!These are companies just trying to make money & are not e-cig users themselves.There are alot of flavored liquids but it is good to start off with a tobacco flavor with 24-30 mg of nicotine. You can always thin down & reduce intake later. Then add your favorite candy ,cake,or fruity flavors later. I was always worried about having enough liquid, extra batteries & cartomizers in case of failing & returning back to smoking. Now I have been completely off cigs for about 6 months & feel great. Do not worry at first if you are still smoking because after a week or 2 cigs taste so bad you probably wont even want to smoke one!
Good luck to all. If you need any more info post here or see my blog and i will try to help you out.

#19 vaping fiore

vaping fiore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

Great advice. And I might also add, because I don't see it addressed, that fifty bucks should include two complete e-cigs. In other words two batteries and at least two atomizers/cartomizers. Don't pay that much for just one.

If you are buying a disposable just to try it out then there will only be one of course. Even some of those are better than others. I don't highly recommend them but can see some use for them.

I agree fonedude. You can get some really good kits for 50-60 price range with two complete e-cigs. The disposables may be ok but if the performance is lousy you might just give up e-cigs all together. I have never tried a disposable so I could not recommend any model types.I do not recall what mall type I first purchased but It was only then that I realized there would have to be something better. A lot of money was invested to try out different products. If I would have known about the helpful people in these forums I would have saved alot of cash!

#20 fonedude

fonedude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

[2) Do not google something like "e-cig review" and expect to find balanced information. 90%+ of the results will lead you to sites which are doing no more than shill-ing their own over priced products.*]

If you do that in the UK you'll end up at Scotts review site, which will give you lots of information but might be a bit daunting, but what it does have is a myriad of reviews and discount codes.

I just want to point out this site doesn’t sell e-cigs and I haven't any affiliation with it, it is just what will come up first from a Google search.

Gosh Cil I haven't logged in there for quite some time. Was thinking of that earlier. When did you get HERE? LOL
Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users