#1 ishavedmycrazycat

ishavedmycrazycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

I recently almost talked myself back into smoking, due to the weight gain issues, and partially because I still want to smoke, but then I talked myself back out of it. I still feel the need to smoke and it's getting on my last nerve. :evil:

Quit date: January 1, 2010.

#2 Jeny

Jeny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

I feel your pain, honey. Sometimes I would really like to smoke a cigarette too. Then I realize that all the fighting I've done to go only a month free would all be for nothing. I would NOT let the junkie talk take my 30 days from me, I worked too hard for it, as I know you have too. We are all just trying to stay strong for one more day, survive thru one more crave.
Posted Image

#3 LoveForEarth

LoveForEarth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

How ironic I popped back in here today, I"m having lil mini SOS crisis of wanting to smoke again, the lat few days I have really been SOOO tempted, I hate the weight gain, the boredom, etc.

I'm surprised the desire to start is so strong for me after this long, I know it isn't physical cravings, only mental.

I feel your pain and marking this post,
kara
XO~
Kara

If you think you are too small to make a difference in the world, then you have never been to bed with a mosquito.

I quit smoking Dec. 24, 2009

Posted Image

#4 TessArooo

TessArooo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts
  • Location"Somewares Nawth-a-Bawsten" :-)

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

God bless you all! I've been jumping outta my skin for the last few days. I wasn't going to pledge this morning because truth-to-tell, I had every intention of smoking today...really...I know...how much does THAT s*ck?

But then I felt like Jeny - I'm NOT gonna "waste" the last 12 days of pain and suffering! LOL!

{{{{ big ol' hugs all the way around }}}}

ETQ
KTQ

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 nomorecig

nomorecig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

I personally find deep breathing helps especially with eyes closed.

1)Breathe slowly and deliberately. Don’t rush the breathing to try and hurry up and achieve the goal. This obviously negates the exercise and try to relax your body as much as possible. If you feel tension, try and relax where the tension is.

2. Always remember to breathe from the diaphragm. Let the belly expand. If you find your breath up in the chest, make the conscious adjustment. This is most important. Also, try not to slouch, this hampers the expansion of the diaphragm.

You can also use a mantra as you breathe to help you focus such as, “As I breathe in my body is relaxed. As I breathe out my mind is calm. Or shorten it to Relaxed….Calm.

Breathe in deeply through your nose four counts. Hold your breath for seven counts. Then breathe out your mouth for eight counts. Repeat this exercise 4 to 8 times.

http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23201

I hope it helps. This had been godsend to me during my hell month. :D
I'm free from this addiction.

Quit date : 14th Sept 2009

#6 Wolfman

Wolfman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

I recently almost talked myself back into smoking, due to the weight gain issues, and partially because I still want to smoke, but then I talked myself back out of it. I still feel the need to smoke and it's getting on my last nerve. :evil:

Quit date: January 1, 2010.

I hear ya. It's getting on my nerves too.
Interesting you say that, as for the last couple of days I have been thinking exactly the same. I also notice we have the exact same quit date. I don't know about you, but after 100 days I thought I owned this quit. Now I'm starting to wonder again. If I have to go through all the crap of the early days again I don't know if I can handle it.
A lot of people say they feel better etc., I don't! If anything I feel worse. :shock:
Wolfe
Hang Tough, Don't Puff!

Posted Image
I Quit Smoking 1/1/2010Posted Image

#7 mooshoomeep

mooshoomeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

You guys hang on a little longer! Go for the 6 months now...it's even better than the 3-4 month area(we didn't lie about that :wink: ). Little chunks. Just put the 6 months marker in front of you now then 8, then 10, then you'll be a year so fast. I felt the same way you guys do right now too. Believe in yourself!

#8 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,961 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

I bumped a couple of articles up for you about quitting and patience. I wonder if the article about No Mans Land might help you too? If you started marking down every time you you have a crave fora day, I'd bet it doesn't compare with the early days. Sometimes it is hard to see progress.
Reflect on your reasons why you wanted to quit. :D You guys are really doing great and I'll bet the newbies wish they were as far along as you guys. :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

#9 WTBF

WTBF

"Emu of Shame"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

Our quits tend to get more difficult when we find ourselves uncertain as to what we want. We get some random thought about smoking, and the next thing you know, we are imagining that it would feel good, and we start to have an argument in our head about smoking. It can be anything, really, that gets this started, perhaps we see someone else smoking, or maybe we just happen to do something that we used to associate with smoking. Whatever the trigger may be, if we were to recognize it as the conditioned response that it is, and go about our day, we would soon forget about it.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, sometimes we don't just let go of that thought. That just happened to me yesterday. I had to run down to the hardware store to buy a pump to drain my leaking waterbed. I was already bummed about the leak, so I wasn't exactly in the most cheerful mood to begin with. As I am walking from my car into the store, there ten feet in front of me is someone leaving the store and lighting a cigarette. So, on any other day, I probably would have just gagged at the smell and quickly forgotten about it, but yesterday, that thought stuck with me for most of the day.

What I realized was that what I really wanted was to somehow treat myself to help make up for the funk I was in. I then figured out that a nice extravagant dinner would be a much nicer treat than smoking a cigarette and blowing a five-month quit. I suppose I have a little advantage over a lot of people here, seeing as I have relapsed more times than Carter has pills. I KNOW that smoking a cigarette would NOT be a TREAT. It would be HORRIBLE, and make matters MUCH, MUCH worse. So, while I may have been stuck with that stupid thought yesterday, I knew I wasn't going to go and do something stupid.

My point is, you can't always control your thoughts or your emotions, but you can control how you respond to them. There are going to be tough days now and then, and for our newer quitters, those days may be frequent. But no matter how you feel, you are not going to die from a crave. Whatever may have triggered you, there is always a better choice available than lighting up a cancer stick.

Keep choosing freedom!
Tim
**Smoking is Not an Option**
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I used to be somebody else, but I traded him in. ..... The Passenger
N.O.P.E.

#10 LarryM

LarryM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

I know I'm going to continue to get urges months/years from now. I want one now. I've only quit for a week so far and I'm already nostalgic about some of my favorite smoking situations.

From previous failures, I know I can never give in to those urges again. No matter how strong minded I think I am, I'll be back to a pack a day if I give in to a single puff.

One thing different about this quit for me is I'm older now. I feel it, I know that as my body changes on the outside, it must be changing on the inside too.... and probably more dramatically. A few grey hairs, maybe a wrinkle or two, skin not as tight as it used to be. Now I imagine what is going on with my inside. I feel these lungs that used to power me up mountains or through a few games of racquetball, they now get easily taxed walking up flight of stairs. My cardiovascular system, it scares me to even think about it.

As we get older our body loses more and more of it's ability to process the shlt we put into it. For me, I'm going to never let go of this mental imagine I have of the inside of my body and the harm I must have done.

I love my wife, I love my life... I want to be here as long as possible! I want to gain back some of these years that I forfeited to nicotine.
apafapad

Posted Image

#11 TessArooo

TessArooo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts
  • Location"Somewares Nawth-a-Bawsten" :-)

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

I love my wife, I love my life... I want to be here as long as possible! I want to gain back some of these years that I forfeited to nicotine.

and for that statement alone, my good man, you get a {{{{{{big ol' hug}}}}}} and a big FAT wet ONE (on the cheek of course...don't wanna rile the lil' missus or my ol' man!)

Way to go, Larry...you're doing awesome. Remember you're right behind me and we're making our way to the Lido deck! :wink:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 badgerss

badgerss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

I know I'm going to continue to get urges months/years from now. I want one now. I've only quit for a week so far and I'm already nostalgic about some of my favorite smoking situations.

From previous failures, I know I can never give in to those urges again. No matter how strong minded I think I am, I'll be back to a pack a day if I give in to a single puff.

One thing different about this quit for me is I'm older now. I feel it, I know that as my body changes on the outside, it must be changing on the inside too.... and probably more dramatically. A few grey hairs, maybe a wrinkle or two, skin not as tight as it used to be. Now I imagine what is going on with my inside. I feel these lungs that used to power me up mountains or through a few games of racquetball, they now get easily taxed walking up flight of stairs. My cardiovascular system, it scares me to even think about it.

As we get older our body loses more and more of it's ability to process the shlt we put into it. For me, I'm going to never let go of this mental imagine I have of the inside of my body and the harm I must have done.

You sound very much like me Larry. We've got to learn to live with the fact that we've been smokers and that isn't ideal. The urges will persist for a long time, I think. It's a right pain frankly, but at the end of the day it's not that big a deal is it? However strong the urge, it goes away. Of that we can be certain.

#13 LoveForEarth

LoveForEarth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

I knew reading posts on here would make me feel better. I'm coming up on 4 months on the 24th and I guess this is my 'no mans land' confusion, and its been long enough to where I can romance the cigarette cause' I've been smoke free for awhile.

Funny, I did have this fleeting thought this morning of how just walking up the stairs 5 months ago when I smoked would make me feel out of breath and I can walk the stairs now without it, which was one of the big reasons (scares) that made me quit in the first place.

I won't lie, I did have to fight the whole dialogue of 'just one every now and then' again this morning, but instead of driving to the store, I came here :) Thanks for the encouraging words even though its not my OP, I appreciate it!
XO~
Kara

If you think you are too small to make a difference in the world, then you have never been to bed with a mosquito.

I quit smoking Dec. 24, 2009

Posted Image

#14 Scoop

Scoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:59 PM

Sorry I'm getting here so late, but I want to let you know, like the others above me, that you are so not alone. When I was smoking, I detested everything about it and desperately wanted to quit. And, when I would quit, I hated it and desperately wanted to smoke. Pretty messed up, huh?

I put myself through this for a solid year until my body and my spirit were just plain exhausted. Something HAD to change and that something was me. I figured that if I was going to be miserable and desperately wanting something, I would rather be an ex-smoker with a desire to smoke (which I knew would lessen as my inner strength and resolve grew) than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
It's only been five days, but the war is finally over. I am at peace with my decision.

Don't get me wrong...this ain't a cakewalk. I swear Sunday was at least 37 1/2 hours long and days blur together. My sleep sucks. Smoking and my quit occupy every waking minute of my day. But, I also know that it won't be like this forever.

We can do this. I know it is so hard, but keep on focusing on the rewards waiting for you at the end of this journey...the sheer freedom! Keep on fighting and know that there are many of us fighting right along next to you.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#15 janpo1

janpo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hang in there. You can and ARE doing this quit.

Have any of you ever tried a straw? Well it's not really a straw. I love the dunkin donuts coffee stirrers . I get those and cut them in half. They are great for something in your mouth that helps keep the quit.

Just a thought....

Jan
One puff is too many and a 1000 puffs are not enough.

Quit Date

April 22, 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users