Photo

Shortness of breath after quitting smoking.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bama

bama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

I apologize if this has been beaten into the ground but I would like to ask a little question. I have read and talked to a few long time smoker who have told me that after they quit smoking they have had a lot of problems with shortness of breath for a period of time. When I quit smoking I became very short winded when I would exercise. At first I thought it was from smoking but now believe it was the new Beta blocking blood pressure medication I am taking.

I quit smoking and stated taking these beta blocking medication at approximately the same time. The shortness of breath is what really drove me to finally quit smoking . Now I am wondering is it the blood pressure medication or the fact I quit smoking or a combination of both. Still have the shortness of breath but it is improving .

#2 Dayzeegrl

Dayzeegrl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

I am not too sure it could be the meds or it could both. I would have my doctor check it out on your next visit. I would also google your beta blocker name and check for common side effects and see if shortness of breath is listed. I hope you feel better soon, keep up the good work.
Posted Image

#3 Mickk3

Mickk3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

it happened to me to a mild degree. in my case it was anxiety.

the longer you stay off cigarettes the longer your breaths will become.

#4 *Lena*

*Lena*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationOld Town

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

:shock: I'm not the ONLY ONE?!

Me too! While it wasn't my reason for quitting, I also had thought my breathing would improve once I stopped smoking. I mean it would've made SENSE, right? But no, I'm just as winded when I come up the stairs with a full laundry basket or heavy bags of groceries (or nothing at all, just coming home and trudging up those damn stairs) as I ever was while I smoked my pack and a half to 2 packs a day! My only physical "I feel better" improvements since quitting are no more smoker's cough, no wheezing/heavy chest and no more chronic bronchitis. I do NOT breathe "better" and I do NOT have more energy.

Between 2-3 months into my quit when I was noticing I was STILL short of breath when I did strenuous things (especially after reading here posts from quitters who'd only JUST quit a few days or weeks ago saying how much better they felt physically not being winded or short of breath and now enjoyed VIGOROUS EXERCISE!) I mentioned it to my doctor. He sent me for a pulmonary function test (I'm at 80% of capacity for a woman my age even though I smoked for 30 years) and prescribed me a Combivent inhaler. Yes, it helps.

~Lena.
Free Since October 7, 2009

Posted Image

http://www.sparkleta...eFree/?key=1810

Posted Image

#5 dancer_I

dancer_I

Freedom fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

I've found it harder to breathe after I've stopped ad I've also had chest problems. There is a medical explanation for it and I don't know it in it's entirity. It does take 120 days (4 months) for your red blood cells to be able to carry greater oxygen levels throughout your body among other things.

Quit from 3/8/14

#6 MaryfromKansas

MaryfromKansas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationSE Kansas

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

I'm sorry, it is so different for me. I took a long walk with my daughter today and toward the end we went up a pretty steep hill. I started swinging my arms and trudging forward thinking I can do this (and I stayed up with her). When we got to the top I told her I wouldn't have been able to do that before I quit smoking and she said "I know mom, I'm so proud of you". Ok, another tear in my eye. I am so in love with not smoking.

Posted Image

#7 dancer_I

dancer_I

Freedom fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

Ok, another tear in my eye. I am so in love with not smoking.

You and your new love look made for each other.

Quit from 3/8/14

#8 dls46711

dls46711

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,698 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

Mary it feels so good, doesnt it? i love love love it!
Diane

April 15th, 2009 is the day i became free!

If i agree with you, than we'll both be wrong...Steven Tyler

Copy That?

#9 Happy

Happy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:16 AM

Now it is years after my quit and I got winded like I had just smoked a pack when I went swimming the other day. Am wondering if 25 years of smoking came back to haunt me or if it is this extra 25 pounds (can't blame it on the quit at this point, so am blaming it on age :wink: .) Don't know, but if you quit then it won't get any worse will it?! Sure glad I quit, just wish it had happened sooner.
Posted Image

#10 GusRAlonso

GusRAlonso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hi,

I quit smoking 16 days ago. I have smoked for roughly 20 years and am a 36 year old male. I have never had any shortness of breath, however now that I quit I get shortness of breath for no reason during the middle of day. No really when I exercise, but kind of like forget to breath. Has anyone experienced this. Please help. Would appreciate some feedback.

Thank you and best regards,

Gus

#11 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:20 AM

Well I'm on a beta blocker & once I started using Symbocort as an inhaler my breathing has finally improved-so for sure check with your dr. I'd hate to see someone lose their quit because their breathing still sucks,don't make the mistake I made-ask!!!!

#12 Marvitta

Marvitta

Free & Healing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

I was wondering the same thing when, does my breathing get better? When do I start to have more energy and just feel better? This is a bit gross but I used to hear from people who had quit that after they quit their lungs started bringing up all that crap that had been sitting there for years. That after a while off the cancer stick your lungs start to try and clear that crap out. Well it's only been a little over 3 weeks for me so I just assumed it was too soon still. Does that really happen?
Marvitta
(I started about age six and smoked over fourty years.... anyone can quit!)

Smoke & Nicotine free since 7/19/2011
~~~~The Day I Quit!~~~~

If You Are Going Though Hell, Keep Going ~ Winston S. Churchill
~~One Foot In Front Of The Other Gets You Where Your Going~~

~~~~~Life is What Happens When You Are Making Other Plans~~~~~ John Lennon

#13 WTBF

WTBF

"Emu of Shame"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

Like almost everything else about quitting smoking, it differs from person to person. I have heard of people coughing up disgusting brown stuff, while others report little or nothing. Personally, I'm still waiting for it to stop. :?
Tim
**Smoking is Not an Option**
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I used to be somebody else, but I traded him in. ..... The Passenger
N.O.P.E.

#14 dls46711

dls46711

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,698 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:47 AM

I never coughed up and gunk. I also would find myself almost like holding mny breath. I had to focus on my breathing, since we dont have that stupid thing in inhale on. that went away pretty quick. Maybe it's a little anxiety? that'll turn to normal. well it did for me.
Diane

April 15th, 2009 is the day i became free!

If i agree with you, than we'll both be wrong...Steven Tyler

Copy That?

#15 steevemartin1

steevemartin1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

Hey Bama you just share with us please .What was the actual reason for this.You posted this excellent question and now please let us know , i am also having the same problem.

#16 bama

bama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

Well all I can really tell you is my breathing is slowly improving. It has now been over 20 months and I feel my breathing is still improving. The doctor reduced my blood pressure medication and this helped. Think my problem is a combination of things. I have to be very careful about breathing cold dry air as it tends to aggravate my breathing problems. Some call it exercise induced asthma. I am really trying to get some regular cardiovascular exercise. This seems to help more than anything I have done or tried. It has taken me a long time to improve but I can do much more than I could when I posted this question last year

For me it took many months, not weeks, to show improvement. Got to be patient and I would also suggest you may want to talk to your doctor. One aliment does not fit all and it is best to be safe or at least get a professional opinion. If you have gained weight , it sure helps to loose it.

Good luck and be patient and be careful. Good luck. :D

I never did cough up a bunch of junk.

#17 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Bama-do you use any types of inhalers???

#18 bama

bama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Doctor said he would give me something if I wanted but I am doing fairly well without them. Really do not want to take anything if i do not have to. I just toughed it out for the first 4-6 months. Maybe not the best thing to do but what the heck you have to do what you have to do. it I can still work with guys half my age in a physically demanding job. Have had only one episode of breathing problems in the last year and that was during the winter when the heat was out. Breathing problems I have had or use to have were always involved the early, cold morning. Think I am kind of like an old car, after you get them warmed up, they do pretty well. :D Started doing some morning exercises and that kind of get my juices flowing.

I do think I am slowly but steadily improving.

#19 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:35 PM

Just checking cause when I quit & my breathing got worst the longer I was quit & so I just got both on a new one & its great-yeah I understand those cold morning breathing trouble-doesn't muggy weather get to you too? I can understand affording inhalers but they have programs for people with no drug insurance.

#20 bama

bama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users