20 replies to this topic

#1 jmalone

jmalone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationS Hampton, UK

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:37 AM

Anybody have success using this method to quit? I know it defeats JOELS idea of how your supposed to quit, but JOEL does not know everything in my opinion.

Joe.

#2 samIam

samIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:32 AM

It gave me wicked heartburn.
Sam

Posted Image
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

#3 dramagal

dramagal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

People have used it and successfully. Along with other NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) but you are just putting off getting the nicotine out of your body. IMHO it does not matter which road you take as long as you educate your self, learn about your addiction and WANT to quit more than you WANT to smoke... truly in your soul... It is not easy.. but you can do it.. Hope that helps!
August 8, 2009 -FREEDOM
Sometimes you just have to take things moment to moment!!!
BELIEVE YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!
HEATHER

Posted Image

#4 Rain Forest

Rain Forest

Ash Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:04 AM

Joe, why don't ya just go back to trying to convince us that E-cigs are safe? Jeesh, dude... :roll:

event.png

Freedom date: May 13, 2009

I oftentimes say I'm leaving here.  Jan says:

"She always says that. She's got her fingers crossed behind her back."

Jan is right... lol

#5 jmalone

jmalone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationS Hampton, UK

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:18 AM

Relax, I am not an advocate for e-cigarettes. When I first saw one I thought it was the most ridiculous thing in the world. The subculture already from it is mind boggling. But the info is not out yet, so why jump on them. My point was that this chemical is in everything. Even toothpaste. Anyhow, let's not go there.

My point with the gum. It makes the cravings somewhat bearable. With me, it's all mental and minimally physical. This is plainly evident when I tried the patch. Now why would I still want a cigarette, if the patch is delivering the equivilant of like 10 packs of cigarettes into my body at once, or some insane figure like that, I forget.

This leads me to believe it's mostly habit and partly physical. Yeah I get the concept. Don't get a heroin addict off heroin with heroin. But this is nicotine. It's not nearly as bad. I really do think 95% of it is in the mind and habits and fear of a loss and all that happy crap. But when you buy pack after pack and throw them out because they taste like sh*t, you have to do something. Cold turkey doesn't seem to work with me.

With the gum, it's sort of like a semi-reward, although not as good as a cigarette (my brainwashed mind would think) but after a few fresh cigarettes, the last drag is just horrible and I end up tossing another 8 bucks into the garbage pail. This is insanity. So I've been beating myself up a good bit with this whole quitting thing. I hope the gum works out. I'm so burned out mentally from all this quitting, failing, starting, quitting, etc.....

I wish I could start my life over.

Just wanted to add. I could care less if I get addicted to the damn gum forever. I don't think I will, it really gives me almost no pleasure compared to smoking (or so my brainwashed mind would think)

#6 samIam

samIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:54 AM

The problem with those things is you are still getting nicotine. So you will NEVER stop having cravings. If you're on a structured weaning program as with the patch, then maybe. But I did the patch a few times and the craves were still there as soon as I took off that last patch. As far as I'm concerned, you are going to go through the withdrawl sooner or later, no matter how you do it. So if you're sincere in quitting, might as well get it over with.
Sam

Posted Image
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

#7 TMcGee

TMcGee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,691 posts
  • LocationEncinitas, California

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:01 AM

If a nicotine patch delivered the equivalent of ten packages of cigarettes at once, you would be DEAD.

Although the average manufactured cigarette contains 8 to 10 mg. of nicotine, only about 1 mg. finds its way into the smoker's bloodstream. More lethal than strychnine, just 60 mg. of nicotine on the tongue - about three drops - would kill a 160 pound person. By contrast the lethal dose for strychnine is 75 mg, for diamondback rattlesnake venom it's 100 mg, arsenic is 200 mg, and cyanide's lethal dose is 500 mg.

So... assuming that only 1mg. of nicotine per cigarette actually enters your bloodstream, and that there would therefore be 20mgs. of nicotine in your bloodstream from one package of cigarettes, the nicotine from three packages of cigarettes (not the 10 packages you cite), delivered into your body "...at once..." (as you put it) would kill you instantly.

But... YOU want to educate US about propylene glycol...

This is like one of those VISA commercials...

PRICELESS... :wink: :D

Skip
Quit July 15, 2007

#8 dls46711

dls46711

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,698 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:07 AM

LOL... Joe_Malone, you cannot go against Skip and expect to win
Diane

April 15th, 2009 is the day i became free!

If i agree with you, than we'll both be wrong...Steven Tyler

Copy That?

#9 OwenStubbs

OwenStubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationChicago, USA

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:46 AM

Joe - go for the gum if you think it will work. Helluva lot better than smoking the coffin nails!!! Best to get off nicotine completely, but if the gum keeps ya from inhaling the crud from cigs, that is better IMHO... at least in the short term... then you can focus on quitting the gum.
http://tinyurl.com/ycnmfts
Quit date: May 15, 2009

#10 Guest_BooBoo0413_*

Guest_BooBoo0413_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

I quit successfully with the gum. Was forced to quit the gum though because my jaw was so sore. Had it not been for that, I'd probably still be chewing. But I say, whatever it takes.

#11 cister

cister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Location"Twilight Zone" WA State

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:54 AM

You're absolutely correct in that this addiction is part physical and part psychological. NRT prolongs dealing with the physical aspects, so that you can deal with the psychological habits first. How are you doing that? That's where identifying your triggers and planning for alternatives comes into play. Much of that comes with education and knowing that you can Never Take Another Puff if you want to lick this thing for good. I was pretty sure I was going to use NRT when I first started thinking about this process, but then I saw how expensive it was and, besides, it was the nicotine I needed to get out of my body more than the smoking. Keep the faith - Never Take Another Puff! ~ Cissy
AFTER nearly 50 YEARS...
Quit date 11/18/2008

#12 SteveS

SteveS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:42 AM

Hi Cissy, You mentioned that, It was the nicotine you wanted out of your body not the smoke??? is that what you meant? the smoke ,carbon monoxide and 1000's of other trace chemicals, is the real danger ...not the nicotine from what I have learnt ?? and it makes complete sense....

Posted Image

#13 AnneMarie09

AnneMarie09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

True but when you consider that nicotine is proven to make the lining of the arteries more susceptable to cholesterol build up it sort of begs the question if smoking causes atherosclerosis (the build up of cholesterol plaques in the arteries) and said plaques go on to burst and produce clots which then kill or seriously injure us, how does NRT tackle the problem of smoking related heart disease when it doesnt actually get rid of the contributer to atherosclerosis. To compund this we also have to consider that nicotine thickens the blood, increasing blood pressure and putting more pressure on the heart whilst causing a rampant playground for the atherosclerotic plaques to be bashed with blood (shortly before they burst and you die).

I am truly an advocate in you do WHATEVER it takes to quit and when all is said and done when you're smoking you have more to worry about than just this but I do think it's only fair that people know the truth. I quit with NRT because I didnt think I could do without it but I jacked it after 2 weeks. I decided I wasnt going to play chicken with heart disease any longer.
Posted Image
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton
Posted Image
Quit Date: 18th July, 2009.

#14 SteveS

SteveS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

good reply Annemarie! I like your way of thinking although I am pretty sure you could have used the nicotine replacement as long as you wanted instead of cigarettes.....

I do appreciate your kick it attitude though ....more power to you!!!!!

Steve

Posted Image

#15 SteveS

SteveS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:44 AM

I am soooo tempted to kick the NRT"S away as well Annemarie...not for the same reasons as you...BUT because I dont want to remain hooked on the oral gratification of Nicotine...not ready yet though it seems....maybe after 2 weeks like you did...really DONT know about that one

confusedsteve

Posted Image

#16 AnneMarie09

AnneMarie09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

I didnt stop the NRT for that reason Steve, it was only a side line for the real reasons.

The main reasons I quit NRT patches (and why I was drawn to this board in honesty) was because I was in excrutiating pain because of them and after 3 weeks of being quit (and being very happy in my quit and method of quitting) I realised I couldnt go swimming with my boy without taking another patch with me and from that moment on I went in to full blown daily tantrums.

I know it sounds very bizarre but after I had this annoying "hold on I'm still tied to an addiction" thought in my head every post I read seemed to be confirming that I should be giving up NRT.

It was a very personal decision and it was by no means easy. NRT makes you just forget that you have a addiction so it dampened everything from view but when I had come off it then boy did I have a wake up call (search post NRT sucks)

I've heard from a lot of people say that this happens no matter when you stop the NRT so its better to get it over with sooner rather than later. I would hate to be 3 mths in and feel the way I did when I stopped. BUT the thing is... YOU have to do what YOU need to do. I can only give you my experience, encourage you to ask for other people's experiences and then ask you to think a while before you make a decision. there is no rush for you. You have quit cigs and you are doing a wonderful job. If you need NRT then you keep on going and know that we will always be there no matter what path you choose.
Posted Image
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton
Posted Image

#17 SteveS

SteveS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:00 PM

thanks again Annemarie, I just had the most horrible day in the last 10+ yrs!...tried to cut down hard on the nrts and almost lost my mind.....I cant belive how bad it was....out of body experience

almost gave in twice today...wow...I am totally surprised how this is affecting me

Posted Image

#18 AnneMarie09

AnneMarie09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:27 PM

If you havent already done so Steve I would strongly recommend that you start to educate yourself about your addiction. You cant imagine how much it helps until you give it a go. Once you know what to expect you can plan what you will do when it happens and then you find the other posts that hit you and its like " WOW thats me..right now..thats me..how did you know" lol. The Newbie Thread is a really good place to start and Allen Carrs book is also another good one. That also on the newbie thread. It's not going to be easy but you WILL get through this. The first week is hell but it gets better.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 scooterbob

scooterbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:13 AM

Haven't tried the gum, but started using Zyban 10 days before quiting last Sun. and I don't have as many cravings as I thought I would have, not even with my morning coffee.

#20 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,961 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:19 AM

:D
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users