Oh Silly Nicorette

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BooBoo0413_*

Guest_BooBoo0413_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

Well I've started to enjoy the taste of Nicorette...Ok, I've ALWAYS enjoyed the taste of Nicorette...So now I'm starting to use it more often, especially if I'm drinking (because that is really the only time I get bad craves...)...so my question, if anyone can shed some light, how to wean off Nicorette...I mean I know that's pretty obvious, but I have tried to replace it with other gum, but I really don't like other gum. I like really bland tasting things (Like I've started eating rice cakes in an effort to lose weight bland. Lol) Any ideas on another type of gum or something that isn't so sweet? I don't know...Gum really helps me a lot, but I'm chewing more Nicorette at 9 days into my quit than I was when I FIRST quit! :lol: And I don't think that's good.

#2 ACSpann

ACSpann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

BooBoo, You can try cinnamon sticks. You just kind of have them in your mouth. Ya don't eat em:) You'll get a very mild flavor. Tic Tacs maybe. I agree with you on the sweet things though. They can be too much sometimes, your mouth gets all sugary, I didn't like it. I also laid off drinking completely until last Sat. which was about 40 days into my quit. If you know its gonna trigger you strongly, you might want to give yourself some time. Amy
Posted Image

Quit Smoking April 27, 2009

#3 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,961 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

If you decide to stay with the gum, remember to never use more than the recommended daily amount. The addictive nature of nicotine is that you keep needing more in order to get the same feeling. I might suggest straws or toothpicks.
You can do it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

#4 laterbloomer

laterbloomer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

I kept a bottle of water with me 24 hours a day. I ended up drinking A LOT of water, but hey, it's good for you.
Posted Image

#5 Mountain

Mountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationCentral Connecticut

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

Try Altoids or Altoid gum. It packs alot more punch than ordinary gum.

I tried gum in the beginning of my quit but it had not enough kick. I'd rather chew on hot peppers and often do. Cinnamon sticks (as suggested by Amy) are a great substitute.

Personally, I've started nibbling on beef jerky and pemican - the spiciest ones I can find. These are low fat and nutritious. It's a little pricey and can wind up costing almost as much as cigarets, but far more healthy.

As I've often said, if I could quit using NRT, I'd never worry about stopping the patch or gum. Even though nicotine is not a very healthy substance, it is NOT smoking. Having said that, it is, of course, much better to be rid of the nicotine entirely. My point is that you are LEARNING not to smoke and UNLEARNING alot of smoking rituals and habits. If the NRT is helping you to stay quit, don't feel that you MUST be in a huge rush to get off it. It is MUCH easier to get off the nicogum than it is to break the smoking addiction.

I have been quit for 2 Months, 2 Days, 6 hours, 8 minutes and 13 seconds (63 days). I have saved $354.22 by not smoking 1,012 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 12 hours and 20 minutes of my life.
........................Mountain

...... Smoked for over 45 years - not any more

"IF I HAVE JUST ONE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY"
Author Unknown

#6 littleredwagon

littleredwagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationWestchester County New York

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

Have you followed the instructions for Nicorette. Use 4mg for so many weeks and then change to 2 mg for the remainder of the weeks. After that try cinnimon gum.

Kathy

I have been quit for 1 Week, 4 Days, 16 hours, 59 minutes and 45 seconds (11 days). I have saved $172.10 by not smoking 468 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day and 15 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 5/28/2009 11:59 PM
RIP MOM 11/13/25-06/17/93 Lung Cancer
Never Take Another Puff

#7 SimplySimon

SimplySimon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:21 AM

And I think it's normal that in the beginning, when your quit is fresh, and you're full of winning energy, that you'll need it less, and then as a few more days go by you may need a little more.

Within the recomendations in the gum instructions, I wouldn't worry too much about how much you're using 9 days in- don't exceed the RDA from the package, but within that number, use as much a you need to be smoke free.

Use the gum to lose the smokes, then use something else to lose the gum. (I didn't use gum this time, but a different NRT- I then replaced it with chocolate covered coffee beans. Which are better anyway.)

Best,
SS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users