Photo

SOS: NICORETTE GUM! I AM SO BUMMED! NOT SO PROUD ANYMORE!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sonata

Sonata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

Hi everyone

As some of you might have noticed I have quit almost 7 days ago with the help of nicorette gum (4mg per gum). I chew around 4 to 5 of those a day. I was wondering how much nicotine I am taking in my body now compared to the days I used to smoke (30-40 Marlboro Lights a day) and made a calculation and got so disappointed! I AM ACTUALLY STILL A SERIOUS NICOTINE ADDICT HERE! This is NOT cold turkey what I did..5 Nicorette gums a day are equivalent to 20 mg of nicotine. That is equivalent to the amount of nicotine in just over 20 Marlboro Lights a day (each Marlboro Light has 0.7mg nicotine). I am still a nicotine addict.. :( Really how can I be proud of myself now :(, I still have nicotine in my bloodstream and I had a terrible first 72 hours and I am really wondering why because I was taking in plenty of nicotine from the gum apparently without being aware of it!!. I am NOT clean yet! Now i am afraid I will go through a worse withdrawal period when I quit this gum. I swear I didn't know it had that much nicotine in it otherwise I would have not touched it. I really don't know what to do now. Should I start already to slowly wean myself from this gum or should I do cold turkey and face a horrible challenge again for the next 72 hours? Or is quitting nicorette cold turkey easier than the quitting cold turkey ciggy? I am really getting depressed because I really am afraid of a terrible nicotine withdrawal again. I got a bit traumatized the first 72 hours. I am NOT so proud anymore :(

Love to you all
Sonata
I am still NOT poison free :(

#2 sagwa

sagwa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

Sonata, First of all don't panic! Any way that works for you to get you off the cigarettes is a good way. You are right in being concerned about the amount of nicotene you are ingesting but don't get carried away. If you think you can do cold turkey and be ok then I would certainly reccomend that because you will be off the nicotene as well. I used the patch and weaned myself off rather quickly. Alot more quickly then the program suggests. I was worried about the same thing as you. But I was determined to quit and I knew that getting off the butts was the first and foremost thing to do. Once that was done then I got off the nicotene. It only took me around 2-3 wks and it worked really well. I never went nuts with cravings and when I did get off the patch it was fine. Just relax for now and BE PROUD YOU AREN'T SMOKING! It is going to be OK. I'm sure you are going to get some good advice from other posters, I hope I have helped a little as well. Congratulations on your quit, keep up the good work!
Quit date 05/01/08 10:15pm

#3 CarsonsGran

CarsonsGran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationDallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, TX

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

Sonata:

I agree with sagwa - at least you're off cigarettes which have all sorts of chemicals in them and are psyschologically addictive! You'll get off the nicotine in time - once the cigarettes and the habit of lighting up every time you face a trigger will be over and under control. Stay with us girlie! You can do it. Don't worry about the gum or patch - they'll go away in time. Don't be upset. Calm down, you're doing great and you will overcome those nasty ciggys. You're a WINNER! Yeah!!!

Posted Image
VEE

QUIT DATE: 3/18/09

", , , eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, . . . be watchful in your States as well as in the Federal Government." -- Andrew Jackson, 3/4/1837 (excerpt)

#4 serenity

serenity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hi Sonata,

I'd just like to second what the others have already said - you are not smoking cigarettes and so you have lots to be proud of! Don't be too tough on yourself, it really is early days yet and you should not be stressing yourself so much at this early stage....IMO it's really important to keep your spirit up and congratulate yourself and look after yourself as best you can. I am on a patch and am getting 16mg of nicotine and it doesn't bother me a bit....I still feel as quit as ever and will face the step down when I get there or decide to, for now I am just so proud of myself and you should be too! :D

Big hugs to you
Amanda

The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

#5 Mainecardinal

Mainecardinal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

Sonata, You have quit smoking. It doesn't matter how you do it, it's all about what is best for YOU. I used the patches and went through a few times that I felt guilty about still getting nicotine. But with the help of this board, I was made to realize that it doesn't matter. I had quit smoking. That's all that matters. You are a non-smoker. Be proud of yourself. We are very proud of you.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Never go backward. Attempt, and do it with all your might. Determination is power.

#6 rebeccaamy

rebeccaamy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:01 PM

Dont beat yourself up.... I am taking in 50mg a day.... I resolved just to do whatever it takes each day to get through it.... If tomorrow I feel I need more NRT then I'll use more.... as long as its not a cigarette.... I actually wonder if you get dependent on any of the other chemicals in cigarettes aswell.... I found when I tried smoking rolling tobacco a few months ago, that it didnt give me the same sensation that tailor-mades did.... it was like something was missing.... then someone told me that rolling tobacco doesnt have all the same chemicals that tailor-mades do.... I dont know, I am by no means an expert.... but perhaps we are detoxing from all those other thousands of chemicals your body has gotten used to aswell???

I quit smoking for nine months in 2006.... I used gum and the inhaler for three months, then went off that for six months, I remember it was tough for a few days when I went off the nicorette, but then it was over.... I had the occasional trigger here and there, but it was quite rare, and nothing I couldnt handle.... then I blew it when I got confident that i could 'just have one cigarette'.... and before I knew it was a full time smoker again.... but I can guarantee you that from my experience, getting off nicorette was far easier than my experiences of trying to quit smoking cold turkey.... sure it takes longer to accomplish, but its a process of gradually withdrawing psychologically.... and the experts do say that its the psychological addiction that is far more powerful than the physical addiction.... I believe it only takes a few days to conquer the physical addiction???

I have also heard that people who use smoking cessation aids, like nicorette, have a higher success rate long term.... so its not a bad thing, even if you are taking in the same nicotine.... you are training your brain to live as a non smoker.... you ingest nicotine, but you are not a 'smoker'.... you are not inhaling anything into your lungs.... you are learning to do simple tasks, like drive a car, without a smoke in your hand.... this addiction is engrained into your life so intensely that it is a part of everything.... so all you are doing now is separating the act of smoking from these tasks, so that the brain loses the association between the task and the cigarette.... you are killing the triggers.... the nicotine part can come later.... but all the power to you if you wanna give cold turkey a go.... that makes sense to me too.... get it all over in one big swoop.... but each to their own.... its a personal choice, whatever works and whatever you are comfortable with....

Rebecca

#7 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,961 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

Hi Sonata,

Calm down...you are doing nothing wrong. There is so much more to just quitting and it all is very challenging. Don't be in a hurry to get off the nicorette gum.
Go the recommended time the manufactures suggest or at least until you feel more comfortable with not smoking. It won't necessarily be tougher down the road weaning off the gum.

Keep up the good work and do what you have to do to to keep your quit!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

#8 Mountain

Mountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationCentral Connecticut

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

Excellent replies here. I have to agree.

Don't be so critical of yourself.
I thought we were trying to quit smoking here - not achieve sainthood.

If I were qble to stop smoking by using nico-gum or patches or inhalers, I would do it for as long as I felt I needed it - or wanted it.

Quitting cigarets is much more than just losing nicotine from our systems. Aside from the thousands of other chemicals that are in cigaret smoke, (any number of which may be addictive on their own or in combination) there are also all of the rituals associated with our smoking habit.

All of the triggers that we experience are a result of learned habits that must be unlearned. Some quitters use sugarless gum or mints or straws or cinnamon sticks or lollipops or ice water to help in beating the habit to control the addiction. NRT is a tool and I would use it AS LONG AS IT IS HELPING.
While nicotine itself is not the greatest chemical in the world to be ingesting, IT IS NOT SMOKING!! Nicotine is a vital part of why we smoked, but it is not the only reason. I have been without nicotine for almost two months and I am still dealing with triggers associated with my many smoking rituals.

So use the gum, use patches USE WHATEVER IT TAKES .

If I were you, I would be very darned proud of being quit from cigarets. You have earned that pride and your own welf-respect.

I have been quit for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 4 Days, 22 hours, 26 minutes and 14 seconds (56 days). I have saved $318.82 by not smoking 910 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 3 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/7/2009 10:00 AM
........................Mountain

...... Smoked for over 45 years - not any more

"IF I HAVE JUST ONE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY"
Author Unknown

#9 ACSpann

ACSpann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

Sonata, Try and visualize your body healing itself from allll of those other chemicals. Think that it is working hard right now and once it is done with one part, it will be ready to handle the nicotine withdrawl. 7 days is an amazing feat for you, but its going to take longer than that for your body to heal. So, be gentle with yourself and know that you will be ready when the time comes to stop the nicotine. I hope that made sense. Don't quit your quit! Amy
Posted Image

Quit Smoking April 27, 2009

#10 laterbloomer

laterbloomer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:51 PM

You're doing your quit in two stages. What is the surprise? You knew you were using an NRT, Nicotine Replacement Therapy, to get you going on the quit. Nothing has changed. I think your plan is still the same as it was. I don't think you ever planned to chew the gum forever did you?

There is an article in the newbie package about Gradual Withdrawal that makes a lot of sense to me. I actually think Cold Turkey is the kindest way to quit. I also rip my bandages off quickly.

That being said I timed my quit around a surgery I had a few months back. Now morphine kills a nic fit like nothing else can :D
Posted Image

#11 UpStateLady

UpStateLady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationUPSTATE NY

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

I totally agree with everyone's post regarding yours - DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP over this, you're doing great !! Just because you're using the gum to quit - doesn't mean that you'll be on it forever ! I'm using the patch, been using it since my QUIT DATE April 15th - it was the 1st stage first, 21mgs for 2 weeks, now I'm on the 2nd stage of it 14mgs - then I will go to the final stage, 7mgs - eventually I will stop using the patch all together, but until then I'm taking ONE DAY AT A TIME.
Don't worry - you're doing great - hold on to your QUIT & don't give up !! :mrgreen:
Posted Image
~Wendy~
Posted Image
Just say...
Not
One
Puff
Ever

#12 Sonata

Sonata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:36 PM

Hello everyone

Thank you so much for this incredible support again..My complaining never stops, ..I am so sorry..You are all so correct actually..I am being a little too hard on myself. I guess the first 72 hours was not only nicotine withdrawal, it was withdrawal symptoms from the psychological addiction part of it as well. That's why it must have been so tough. I almost freaked out when I calculated the amount of nicotine I was getting from the gum because I thought the first 72 hours was withdrawal madness only from nicotine. How stupid am I? Of course it was not only that, it was a thousand other chemicals and more importantly the psychological side of it was the hammer that probably caused withdrawal just as much as lack of the chemicals. Since I quit this thing I feel like my IQ went down dramatically. Sometimes I look at people when they are talking to me and I really have to try hard to listen but no matter what my mind starts flying after 30 secs I think and have to make them repeat what they said. I can't even tell you the amount of stupid really stupid things I did today (I am socializing a bit now and it's getting embarrassing sometimes :)) Moreover it's that time of the month for me today, I am sure it contributed to my panic psychology pretty much. I gave the s...ts to DH today as well, including my son . I was ready poke someone's eye out. Wholy hmmf! Wow tomorrow I will be starting my 7th day..I would have never imagined a few months back that I would not have smoked for 7 days in a row...I am getting proud again I think :) I will set a plan for slowly weaning off from the gum as well, but I will take it easy a bit I think because it's just way too soon..

Love to you all
Thank you for getting in my emotional roller coaster
Sonata
6 days and 14.5 hours smoke free..

#13 Guest_BooBoo0413_*

Guest_BooBoo0413_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

Sonata,
I'm using the Nicorette too...(well the off brand, it's cheaper! Haha :D ) And I also think about the nicotine in my system...I thought, wait, isn't quitting smoking about getting rid of the nicotine? Well, yes and no. I still have the Nicotine in my body, but you know what, I'm not going to get cancer from it! And neither are you! :) What a plus huh? We can use this to quit those nasty cancer filled smokes and when that part is done, then we can get off the nicotine, which I imagine will be seven times easier than quitting smoking, because, like all of these wonderful people have said, quitting smoking is very very psychological. So we'll be ok. =0) All things in time. Hang in there with me! :D

#14 littleredwagon

littleredwagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationWestchester County New York

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

You have quit smoking you just did not quit nicotine. My doctor told me I had to do both but if I needed help it was better to have quit the cigarettes and not have tar and nicotine in my lungs.

Keep up your quit.

Kathy

I have been quit for 5 Days, 15 hours, 27 minutes and 52 seconds (5 days). I have saved $82.96 by not smoking 225 cigarettes. I have saved 18 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/28/2009 11:59 PM
RIP MOM 11/13/25-06/17/93 Lung Cancer
Never Take Another Puff

#15 Victoriaparkhil

Victoriaparkhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationEasy Street, Gilmanton Iron Works,New Hampshire,USA

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:11 PM

Dear Sonata,
You have a beautiful quit going there! Be very proud! Just keep up the good work and take it one day at a time. KTQ VIC
Keeping my Quit and Never Taking Another Puff!
Posted Image
AFTER 43 YEARSquit date: December 31, 2008
Posted Image

#16 brianjames

brianjames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

You have everything to be proud of. The hardest thing to do is break the habit of smoking, once you get rid of that, then you can work on getting off the nicotine. Whatever it takes to not smoke, even if it means chewing nicotine. Although not great for you, the gum is so much better than a cigarette. I am about 2 1/2 weeks into my quit using nic gum also. It has worked well for me, anything but cigarettes. The day will soon come when I say goodbye to the gum. Yes nicotine is very addictive, but the habits and lifestyle you built around smoking is even harder to break. So great job!!

Brian
Posted Image

#17 SimplySimon

SimplySimon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:03 AM

YOU ARE DOING GREAT.

And don't kid yourself- the withdrawal pain you've felt is REAL. And you're getting it behind you. Nicotine absorbed from smoke microparticles in the lungs hits the bloodstream instantly, the brain in seconds. Smoking is like mainlining nicotine.

Nicotine absorbed through the membranes of the mouth is slower, a slow, steady hit that eventually gets your blood/nicotine level into the "non-suffering" category, but never has the hit, the rush, the feel of smoking.

To use a vulgar analogy- you've gone from shooting up to taking pills. :-) And by going from the most immediate and addicting way to consume nicotine to a slower and less compelling way, you've taken a vital, and difficult step.

Be proud.

Take your time. Use the gum while you need it- at this point, you're still sort of transferring from one habit to another. Let the transfer happen, and then you'll be ready to step down.

But for now, chew as much gum as you need (within guidelines, obviously) to Keep Your Quit!

You can do this- You're doing great so far.

Best,
Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users