• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mirrorofdreams

mirrorofdreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:11 AM

I havent smoked in 8 hours and already starting to cough up phlegm and puffing up smoke ( thats really weird).
How long did it take others for this to start to happen? :shock:
Posted Image
[/url]

THAT IS NOT THE REALITY OF SMOKING. IT IS THE FANTASY OF SMOKING

#2 CarsonsGran

CarsonsGran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationDallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, TX

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:16 AM

Dear Dreams:

It only took one day and I was coughing up phlegm - but not smoke. You may have been a heavier smoker than I, but getting it out of your lungs is a good thing. You will feel so much better once it's all out - and you can deep breathe without a wheezing sound and horrible rattle. Welcome to this board and stay plugged into it - read, read, read and post. Check out the Newbie package on this part of the board. Lots of great info. People are wonderful here and will help however they can.
Good to have you.

Posted Image
VEE

QUIT DATE: 3/18/09

", , , eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, . . . be watchful in your States as well as in the Federal Government." -- Andrew Jackson, 3/4/1837 (excerpt)

#3 mirrorofdreams

mirrorofdreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:17 AM

Tyvm CarsonsGran ! Its just scary to start having it happen soo soon. Maybe that means I'll get over the cravings quicker. ;)
Posted Image
[/url]

#4 ACSpann

ACSpann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

I am 3 weeks in and still occasionally cough up stuff. Some ppl never cough up anything at all. Its different for everyone. Its gross, I know, but I was happy to be getting rid of the evidence of my sick habit. Keep some napkins in your pocket:) Amy
Posted Image

Quit Smoking April 27, 2009

#5 cookielinda

cookielinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

Its unusual but I had the taste of ashes in my mouth for months after I quit.
I promise you that a day will come when you will be comfortable in your own body. I promise you that a day will come when your brain will heal. Never take another puff. Your a puff away from a pack a day.
Quit date April 28, 2008

#6 KellyJo30

KellyJo30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

I started coughing up junk during my first day as well, and still am, although it's less frequent now. I had a terrible taste in my mouth as well, but not like ashes. It tasted like sh**! I couldn't figure out for the life of me why my mouth could/would taste so yucky. I felt like my breath was just terrible. I finally read somewhere that it's normal for your mouth to taste icky and your breathe to stink for a few days after you quit, because of all the nasty chemicals coming up out of your lungs!!! It really is gross.
I began my smoke free life on November 5th, 2011

Quitting is easy, I've done it a hundred times. ;)

#7 qwe

qwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,522 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

I smoked fore 35 years and when I quit I never coughed up anything.I guess I was lucky. :)
Posted Image
Quit Date OCT.-29-2007

#8 mirrorofdreams

mirrorofdreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

Im starting to get that icky mouth smell and taste. Sugarless Breath mints actually are helping cover that up so far.
Thanks for sharing with me! :)
Posted Image
[/url]

#9 amberdawn1616

amberdawn1616

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationBALTIMORE, MD

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:35 PM

ya every morning i wake up my mouth is very dry and taste like i ate an ashtray. its pretty gross. im not coughing yet but do have a very sore throat. but prob good body repairing itself.

AMBER-DAWN

QUIT DATE 3/4/2014
event.png

DUE DATE 8/18/2014

preg.png

#10 froggin3

froggin3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

LOL- KellyJo, was it you that said your mouth tasted like you ate a pickle that someone dropped in the dirt?? I remember reading that and laughing my you-know-what off cuz I had such a similar experience--I just would not have come up with such a colorful way to word it! LOL-I'm still chuckling over that one!! I do recall tasting ashes too just like Cookie! I have not coughed up anything noticeable at all, but I do have a few coughs and throat clears that feel sooooo good-like a productive cough when you have a cold!! Other times they are just dry. Our quits are truly all different!
Posted Image

#11 littleredwagon

littleredwagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationWestchester County New York

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:17 PM

Hi all

I have smoked for 44 years. I do not have any bad taste in my mouth . I clean my tongue with a toothbrush and a tongue cleaner. I use tootpaste and then rinse with mouth wash. My mouth and lips are dry. My sense of taste has come back and my tongue is nice and clean now.

Smoke

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 13 hours, 47 minutes and 6 seconds (19 days). I have saved $285.77 by not smoking 782 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 17 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/1/2009 1:30 AM
RIP MOM 11/13/25-06/17/93 Lung Cancer
Never Take Another Puff

#12 KellyJo30

KellyJo30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

Although I would love to claim the pickle comparison, it wasn't me. That is a good one though!!!! I think I would've used more of something like it tastes like turd on a stick, or a s***-ka-bob! :lol:

I also brush my tongue and use a tongue scraper and mouth wash. That's exactly why I couldn't figure out how and why my mouth would taste so terrible.
I began my smoke free life on November 5th, 2011

Quitting is easy, I've done it a hundred times. ;)

#13 laterbloomer

laterbloomer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

I had smoker's cough before I quit and would cough up phlegm every morning so it was not that different after I quit. Except I had just had surgery and every cough felt like someone was stabbing me in the gut. And the crap being cough up had all these brown specs in it. That went on for a couple of weeks but I don't remember exactly how long.

This may seem like an odd thing but I don't get a runny nose anymore and if I am stuff up I can blow my nose and be done with it. Before quitting I had the never ending sniffles.
Posted Image

#14 froggin3

froggin3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:59 PM

Although I would love to claim the pickle comparison, it wasn't me. That is a good one though!!!! I think I would've used more of something like it tastes like turd on a stick, or a s***-ka-bob! :lol:

I also brush my tongue and use a tongue scraper and mouth wash. That's exactly why I couldn't figure out how and why my mouth would taste so terrible.

LOL-now the turd on a stick I probably have said before! Maybe it was Booboo that came up with the pickle comparison-I dunno- loved it though! I also love my tongue scraper and mouthwash!! Helps bunches!! :D
Posted Image

#15 CarsonsGran

CarsonsGran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationDallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, TX

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

Yes, latebloomer, I haven't had sniffy nose, cough, phlegm, wheezing, and most important of all, I haven't had my usual "spring bronchitis." I can't remember the last spring or fall I went without a bad case of bronchitis. This just tells us how bad smoking is for our body! I'd have to go through at least one course of anti-biotics and sometimes two to get rid of the nasty infection - hard time breathing, coughing, etc. This is wonderful!!!!

Posted Image
VEE

QUIT DATE: 3/18/09

", , , eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, . . . be watchful in your States as well as in the Federal Government." -- Andrew Jackson, 3/4/1837 (excerpt)

#16 Mountain

Mountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationCentral Connecticut

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:40 AM

Yeah it was a very funny comment. Here's the reprint (orig from booboo)

Yeah I understand the throat thing. Yesterday, my mouth tasted like a pickle that someone dropped in the dirt. Haha! :lol: Interesting. But you're right, I'll take a headache over a crave or an emotional breakdown any day.

........................Mountain

...... Smoked for over 45 years - not any more

"IF I HAVE JUST ONE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY"
Author Unknown

#17 froggin3

froggin3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:54 AM

Yup! That's the one! LOL--Y'know how something strikes you as funny...I mean really really funny?? This one did it for me! LOL
Posted Image

#18 Natched

Natched

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:41 AM

Coughing up phlegm is normal when you quit smoking? I didn't smoke for two days this weekend (I'm currently on the fence with whether I'm quitting or not) and I get a bit of sore throat and started coughing stuff up, but I thought I had caught a cold. It was bad enough that my friends could tell there was something different in my voice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users