Photo

When do you stop thinking about the cigarettes?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Sandi149

Sandi149

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

I'm doing quite well....no real urges but I find myself thinking about the cigs. When will that stop? I know everyone is different but could someone give me an approximation. One month, 2 months, 6 months?

Thanks,
Sandi
Quit since May 1, 2009

#2 laterbloomer

laterbloomer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

I'm 2 months smoke free today and I have to say that thinking about cigarettes has eased waaaaaaaay up. When I first quit I would have these visions of getting up and going for a cigarette. When I realised what I was doing it was very odd. This would happen about the same number of times I used to go for a cigarette. Training I guess. Today the only time I thought about cigarettes was when I walked past a smoking area outside. First thought - Gee I haven't smelled that in a while. Second thought - God that stinks. :D

Honestly, once I got past the first few days I have found not smoking to be way easier than I thought it would be.
Posted Image

#3 Sandi149

Sandi149

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

I'm 2 months smoke free today and I have to say that thinking about cigarettes has eased waaaaaaaay up. When I first quit I would have these visions of getting up and going for a cigarette. When I realised what I was doing it was very odd. This would happen about the same number of times I used to go for a cigarette. Training I guess. Today the only time I thought about cigarettes was when I walked past a smoking area outside. First thought - Gee I haven't smelled that in a while. Second thought - God that stinks. :D

Honestly, once I got past the first few days I have found not smoking to be way easier than I thought it would be.

Does it really smell that bad? I can't imagine myself ever saying that it smells bad.
Quit since May 1, 2009

#4 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,961 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

This is going to take a few months to work through. Our minds need to be retrained and that takes time and patience. Chantix is wonderful for reducing craves and withdrawals, but you still have to work on the mental part of it. Smoking is engrained in every part of our lives and it takes time to work through the triggers that make us think about cigarettes.
One day at a time and honest it will get easier.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

#5 Sandi149

Sandi149

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:21 PM

I am taking it one day at a time....that's all I really can do. I will get through it though.
Quit since May 1, 2009

#6 froggin3

froggin3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

Hey Sandi,

Congrats on your quit!! I never thought I would not like the smell either...but if I walk past someone smoking I can honestly say that I'm not tempted to rip the cig out of their hands and smoke it anymore-lol! I was near a cigar smoker recently and had to move away from him-now that smell got to me in a yukky way!! Kind of turned my stomach. I can also smell the smoke on someone like I never could before....even children-you can tell whose parents or caregivers are smokers. Not crazy about that smell either. I think I stopped consciously thinking about cigs after a couple of weeks. NOW I find myself thinking--gee, I haven't thought of a cig in a couple days-hmm. . and then that thought passes too. Like everyone says...it does get easier!!!! Congrats again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

#7 Sandi149

Sandi149

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:37 PM

Hey Sandi,

Congrats on your quit!! I never thought I would not like the smell either...but if I walk past someone smoking I can honestly say that I'm not tempted to rip the cig out of their hands and smoke it anymore-lol! I was near a cigar smoker recently and had to move away from him-now that smell got to me in a yukky way!! Kind of turned my stomach. I can also smell the smoke on someone like I never could before....even children-you can tell whose parents or caregivers are smokers. Not crazy about that smell either. I think I stopped consciously thinking about cigs after a couple of weeks. NOW I find myself thinking--gee, I haven't thought of a cig in a couple days-hmm. . and then that thought passes too. Like everyone says...it does get easier!!!! Congrats again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!! Well I always hated cigar smoke even when I was smoking cigs. I guess I'm just impatient though about when all this will happen for me.
Quit since May 1, 2009

#8 laterbloomer

laterbloomer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Does it really smell that bad? I can't imagine myself ever saying that it smells bad.

It REALLY smells that bad. I work with a woman that smokes but she smokes less than I used to. For years she has told me how careful she is not to smell of cigarettes and everything she does including a Fabreze kind of spray and gum and being near a window etc. When I was a smoker I believed her when she said she did not smell of smoke. Now I know better. Smoking stinks and the smell sticks to you.
Posted Image

#9 Sandi149

Sandi149

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

It REALLY smells that bad. I work with a woman that smokes but she smokes less than I used to. For years she has told me how careful she is not to smell of cigarettes and everything she does including a Fabreze kind of spray and gum and being near a window etc. When I was a smoker I believed her when she said she did not smell of smoke. Now I know better. Smoking stinks and the smell sticks to you.

Wow that is amazing....I guess I will find out although none of my friends smokes anymore.
Quit since May 1, 2009

#10 Snapz

Snapz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOntario NY

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:58 PM

It absolutely smells TERRIBLE to me now!! I never thought it smelled that bad when I smoked....Makes me gag sometimes now. NASTY
Posted Image

Life is like ice cream....Both slowly melt away-Mark Sullivan

Smoking just turns up the heat

#11 laterbloomer

laterbloomer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:04 PM

Wow that is amazing....I guess I will find out although none of my friends smokes anymore.

Don't worry, you will smell smoker's everywhere. You know those Sci Fi shows where some people can see what the aliens really look like even though most people can't? It's like being in one of those movies, only with smell. I can't tell you how often I am tempted to say "I know you just snuck out for a cigarette" or "I know you are a smoker".
Posted Image

#12 froggin3

froggin3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:06 PM

Sandi, 'Impatient' is my middle name!!! (and sometimes my first and last as well!)

I have to agree that cig smell is soooo noticable now--nearly knocked me off my feet the first time I caught a whiff as a non smoker. It was so strong and I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not at that moment. The next time was about a week later and I knew then that it was not a favorite smell anymore-whew!
Sending you ((HUGS)) Jan
Posted Image

#13 mariace4848

mariace4848

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationCentral, MD

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

I stopped smoking about a month ago and I still think about cigarettes alot. I think they are horrible and how glad I am I'm never gonna smoke again.

Cigarettes do smell so bad, my husband still smokes and I don't realy like even sit next to him whe he just smoked. Today I went to drop my rent check off, I opened the little door for the drop box and a stench of cigarette smoke nearly knocked me off my feet. I always knew the landlord smoked but when I smoked I couldn't tell she did it in the office building.
-Maria
I stopped 04/04/09.

#14 Lynda Jacobs

Lynda Jacobs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • LocationChatsworth, California

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:54 PM

I have to agree about cig smoke stinking now. My son smokes and he smells so bad when he walks in the house after having a cig. My daughter told me that now I know how she felt when I would be around her after having a cig. I never noticed the smell while I was smoking. It does kind of gag me now! As for thinking about cigs, it's been 40 days for me now and I honestly don't think about it often. The only time I really miss it now is when I get really stressed at work, then I have to admit I do think about one and I grab my new friend - the tootsie roll pop.
Lyn
Quit Date: March 22, 2009

#15 cister

cister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Location"Twilight Zone" WA State

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:09 AM

When will you stop thinking about cigarettes? Probably never in some way or another, but that doesn't mean that you miss them or want them ever again. My thoughts of them now is about how happy I am not to be a slave to them any longer - I hope that never ends. After all, holding that cigarette was a part of our lives for many years (in my case 3/4th's of my life), so the thought is not going to go away overnight. When I was at your stage, I described my thoughts of cigarettes as not craves, but reminders of when I would be smoking if I still did that. And I still get those once in awhile - I almost had something close to a crave just the other day. But I can Never Take Another Puff, and I won't. Wishing you well and you'll always be nicer, smarter and much better looking than that ugly, stinking monkey! ~ Cissy

Posted Image
AFTER nearly 50 YEARS...
Quit date 11/18/2008

#16 littleredwagon

littleredwagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationWestchester County New York

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:23 AM

Hi Sandi

Quoting from Allen Carr "The Little Book of Quitting" (PAGE 95) He says that the greatest mistake that smokers make when they try to quit is to try not to think about smoking. This merely creates a phobia .Remember that something marvelous is happening. It is what you are thinking that is important. If it's: "I can't have one" or "when will I be free?" you'll be doubting your decision. Instead always think:

YIPPEE! I'M A NON-SMOKER"

Not one PUFF!!

We'll be 24 hours soon.

Smoke (Kathy)
RIP MOM 11/13/25-06/17/93 Lung Cancer
Never Take Another Puff

#17 Sandi149

Sandi149

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:01 AM

thanks everyone..

Made it through Day 1 and now I'm starting on Day 2 being smoke free!! :D
  • keepstrong09 likes this
Quit since May 1, 2009

#18 cookielinda

cookielinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:49 AM

Dear Sandi,
A thought can't hurt you. Its been a year since I smoked and I went to the library this week. I haven't been their since I stopped smoking so I'm sitting outside waiting for them to open and sure I had a crave. I took a deep breath and before I exhaled the crave was gone. I enjoyed my time in the library because its the first time I can remember not having to rush to go smoke.
I promise you that a day will come when you will be comfortable in your own body. I promise you that a day will come when your brain will heal. Never take another puff. Your a puff away from a pack a day.
Quit date April 28, 2008

#19 Sandi149

Sandi149

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

Dear Sandi,
A thought can't hurt you. Its been a year since I smoked and I went to the library this week. I haven't been their since I stopped smoking so I'm sitting outside waiting for them to open and sure I had a crave. I took a deep breath and before I exhaled the crave was gone. I enjoyed my time in the library because its the first time I can remember not having to rush to go smoke.

wow after a year you had a crave? I wonder if it ever goes away totally.
Quit since May 1, 2009

#20 CambyGSP

CambyGSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, (Camby) Indiana

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

My mother smoked for 51 years abd quit cold turkey 3 years ago. She has cravings everyday!

I will be somke free for 4 weeks this Tuesday and I crave smokes all day
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users