• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 jczysz

jczysz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

Has anyone that has taken Chantix experienced withdrawal symptoms when they stopped taking it? I had forgotten it for 3 days straight during my 8th week and crashed and burned on the 4th day. Emotional wreck, constant nausea, cryed at everything, etc... I have been reading other sites where people talk about how hard it is to get off of Chantix and have since started to slowly "wean" myself off the meds.

I am completely stunned at how lousy I feel emotionally and have never had a history of depression in my life. It is hard to even feel proud of my quit and how easy it seemed a few weeks ago. It almost makes me want to start smoking again so I can sleep at night and laugh like I used to.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

#2 mary

mary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts
  • Locationsan antonio

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

Quite a few folks here have successfully taken Chantix. I hope someone will help answer some of your questions soon. I just wanted to tell you not to pick up a cigarette and think that will help anything. You will be back to square one! If you are having this rough a time getting off Chantix...I doubt you want to get back on it. Believe me...once you've quit...do whatever it takes to stay that way. You may want to call your doctor and run all this past him or her. They may have a solution for you. Read and post as often as you can. But please...not one puff. mary
Free and Healing since September 13, 2006
"Live simply so that others may simply live." Dorothy Day

#3 mary

mary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts
  • Locationsan antonio

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

You can also do a search of Chantix and see some of the comments people have had about it. It sure has helped quite a few quit. It did nauseate some...but they cut the pills in half. It does sound like some strong stuff. Hang in there and I'm sure others who have taken it will write soon. mary
Free and Healing since September 13, 2006
"Live simply so that others may simply live." Dorothy Day

#4 nomorebutts

nomorebutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationWarren Maine

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

jcz- DO NOT USE THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO START SMOKING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!How ever you may be feeling it is soooooo not worth picking up that nasty addiction again. I am still taking my Chantix...I cut it down to just taking one per day though. Most people I have talked to have just stopped taking their way before they were suppose to...and they had no ill effects from doing so. Everyone is different and reacts differently to medications. Talk to your doctor about what is going on with you...maybe they will put you on a mild anti deppresant......JUST PROMISE US ALL THAT YOU WILL NOT USE THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO START SMOKING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure it's just the damn Nicodemon trying to make you get hooked again :evil: Do not let him win this......Stay strong and read, read and then read some more. Quitting isn't easy but I'll tell you something from personal experience......Watching your parent (or loved one or friend) dye from lung cancer is alot harder than quitting. Just keep your quit :mrgreen: Rhonda
I am an OLD PHARTE and proud of it!!!!!
Date I finally smartened up Feb 19, 2008

#5 Sherry

Sherry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

Hey J.....
What you noted about yourself is really quite common when people abruptly stop taking Chantix. I used to read at another board at Topix about Chantix, and that is where I learned to wean off the stuff or expect problems. First cut the pills in 1/2 for a week, then 1/4 for week, etc. Some even went on antidepressants after getting off of it. Make sure and talk to your doctor though, there may be newer info than what I have.

Best wishes.
Sherry
Heck is where people go
who don't believe in gosh.

Smoking = lung cancer Posted Image
No more coughing Mom, rest peacefully- diagnosed 7/25/08 - died 3/24/09 @ 61 years young.

#6 ellieBH

ellieBH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  • quitdate:
    Monday, July 15, 2013
  • LocationJust South of Atlanta

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

Have you called the Chantix 800 number for help??? Call and talk
to the rep. - 1-877-242-6849.
Just don't smoke!

Ellie

I proudly claim JULY 15, 2013 as my day of freedom.

#7 cyberdoyle

cyberdoyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationLancaster UK

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

no use talking to champix people, they say call your doctor. No use talking to why quit people, they say call your doctor. I talk to people who use champix,(chantix) and most people come off it ok. Not me though. I cut down to half dose, and on the third day felt awful, slightly better day by day after that. then a few weeks later i cut down to half a tablet, same thing happened, by the third day i felt awful. I then cut down to half a pill for a few weeks, same happened. i stayed on half a 0.5 pill for a further two weeks then stopped. i was ok till the third day, then was really miserable, anxious, jumpy, tired etc. I didn't want a smoke but felt my life was crumbling. Because i had already felt it when i cut down I knew if i held on it would pass, and it did. I am now a month past taking any, and I feel fine and have stayed quit.
I do think that champix makes the quit easier at the start, but then in some cases like mine it makes it last longer, i think i would have been feeling a lot better a lot sooner if I had managed cold turkey, but I couldn't manage cold turkey so at least i have a quit. You have to take the rough with the smooth.
Champix helps you start your quit by blocking the transmitters in the brain that nicotine hits. I think it takes a while for those transmitters to come back to life and release dopamine to cheer you up! I smoked for 40 years, two packs a day, so maybe it is taking my body longer to get dopamine production back up to the level needed in a normal person.
who knows.
nobody seems to.
we just have to think it through and do what is best with the knowledge we can get together ourselves. Two of my friends used champix and they didn't have any bad effects at all.
good luck
chris

Sitting still and wishing makes no person great, the good Lord provides the fishes, but you must dig the bait...

#8 Sherry

Sherry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

How are you doing J?

I think what some of us Chantix/Champix people were trying to say is "DO NOT take OUR advice over that of a medical professional". Okay? I am not qualified for that. But I hope you are doing okay, and I hope you post soon.
Sherry
Heck is where people go
who don't believe in gosh.

Smoking = lung cancer Posted Image
No more coughing Mom, rest peacefully- diagnosed 7/25/08 - died 3/24/09 @ 61 years young.

#9 Michelle

Michelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:24 AM

I took chantix myself and stopped quickly because I was having horrible headaches and just felt generally lousy. I felt very emotional and depressed because I stopped the meds too quickly. I read an article in the paper today saying that there have been many cases of severe depression caused from this. I wouldn't advise anyone to take it because there was other aids out there that don't mess with the brain. Good luck to ya! :)
As you begin to quit, you may feel like you'll never make it--
you can't imagine never smoking again. Don't give "never smoking
again" much thought. Take your quitting one day at a time. Step
by step you will make it. Inch by inch, it's a cinch.

#10 Gramma

Gramma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:13 AM

I took chantix,,, it made me very sick and terrible feeling
but I kept taking it for 2 months, after that 1st month
I started to cut back , I kept cutting back until I was only
taking a 1/4 pill a day ,,,so I felt better during that last month
and I really felt better after i got off the chantix for good
with no withdrawal, good luckto you
I QUIT on July 9th 2007, O HAPPY DAY !
There ain't no smoke on mee eee eee !

#11 Bev

Bev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationNorth Shore, Massachusetts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:32 AM

I've been on Chantix for almost 2 months. I took the full dosage (2 a day) for the first month, since then I took it down to 1 a day and thinking about cutting it to 1/2 very soon. I may even go down to 1/4 for a bit before stopping completely. I have had no trouble with this medication and though I know I am doing the actual work, this drug has helped me tremendously. As for the depression that I've been hearing by some, that does concern me a little bit because I already take an antidepressant (zoloft, been taking it for years). Anyone else on Chantix AND an antidepressant?
Free since 3/10/08
Posted Image

#12 cyberdoyle

cyberdoyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationLancaster UK

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

by chantix/champix people I meant the people who make and sell it, not the people who use it.
I rang them and managed to eventually get through to the medical section, but even then they wouldn't tell me anything apart from 'ask your doctor'.
The doctors don't know much about it, only what we the patients tell them, so make sure you pass your knowledge on to the person who prescribed it for you.
the more they know the more they can help others.
chris

Sitting still and wishing makes no person great, the good Lord provides the fishes, but you must dig the bait...

#13 janpo1

janpo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

I weaned and most everyone i know that took it weaned also. It just makes sense~ your body weans onto the drug it should wean itself off.

I weaned for 2 weeks and took the drug for 2 mos. One month full strength like they say to and then two weeks at one pill a day in the mornings. Then i took a 1/2 pill for one week and then a quarter of a pill the next week and then just went off.
One puff is too many and a 1000 puffs are not enough.

Quit Date

April 22, 2007

#14 brookeelslyn

brookeelslyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:35 PM

I toatally feel the same way. I am so glad to have found this message board. I have felt as thought I'm losing my mind.

I started taking chantix on June 27 and followed the directions through the first 3 packs than took the last 4 days pills and weaned for almost 2 weeks(1, .5, .25 etc). I have quit smoking sucessfully. I smoked my last cigarette on July 3rd(for the most part, I did cheat once, but got no satisfaction out of it).

I felt the side effects pretty badly through the whole medication process, but getting off, even weaning, it has been much worse. Also, alcohol really intensifies this, even just a couple of drinks feels like way more. I know they say to avoid alcohol, and I belive them. I feel like I'm on an emotional rollar coaster where every couple of days I will get into these moments of emotion that just keep getting worse and last for hours at times. I am completley over sensitive, quick to get defensive and get overwhelemd by simple things. Someone could say something completely normal and nuetral to me and I will take it so personally and get overly emotional and even in some instances cry hysterically.

This is not me. I have always considered myself to be pretty level headed and emotioally stable, and I think that is why this is so hard for me. I can conciously, in my own head tell my self to "knock it off" or "what are you even thinking/saying right now", but geez, I just can't make my self stop the behavior. My poor boyfriend! He has been absolutely wonderful through this whole thing, so patient and calm for me,very supportive,but I can see it's getting old. I just want to know how long this is going to last. I have been off Chantix completly since Aug 3(over 2 weeks).

I have no desire to start taking an anti depressant because I didn't really want to start taking the Chantix in the first place. I don't want to take another brain altering pill to fix what another one did, that just doesn't seem right.

I am proud of my self to have quit, but I don't even feel that I can enjoy that at this point, I just want to feel normal again.

Thanks for reading, and any input or validation anyone can give.

Brooke

#15 Dunkin

Dunkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:50 AM

I used chantix and have now been off of it for over a week and I didn't have any trouble with it at all. Not when I was on it, and not coming off of it. I did wean myself off. I basically took the first pack according to directions and the second pack I made last for 8 weeks instead of 4. I thought that the chantix worked exceptionally well for me, I didn't notice any side effects at all. When I quit the chantix, I was very worried about getting off of it and if I was going to experience withdrawal again, but I've been off it for a 10 days now and it's not been a problem at all.

I love my quit :mrgreen: I can't remember feeling this good about anything that I've done for myself pretty much ever. Maybe college graduation, but this might be better than that even.

Being a non smoker is the way to be. I just couldn't imagine getting back to that nasty addiction. No way. NOPE!
Quit May 31, 2008

"If you want to change your life, change your mind."

Dunkin

Posted Image

#16 ellieBH

ellieBH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  • quitdate:
    Monday, July 15, 2013
  • LocationJust South of Atlanta

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

I used Chantix.....and had long (2 hours sometime) withdrawal episodes. They lasted about 6 or 7 days.....then totally gone. Any Craves or withdrawal feelings are gone now....Just have to fight the old habit of lighting up. Better every day.

Ellie
4 1/2 mos.

I proudly claim JULY 15, 2013 as my day of freedom.

#17 drseuss

drseuss

Bad-ass Quitter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

I took it for the full course (and prescribed dosage) and didn't have any issues when I came off.
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~~ Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904 - 1991)

Quit Date 12/31/2006
Nicotine Free Since 1/30/2007

#18 chrisTinaC

chrisTinaC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

I stopped taking Chantix about 4 days ago and I've also been an emotional wreck. I feel angry, other times depressed. Mostly angry. I was only taking a half of pill for the the last month I was taking it. Figured doing away with a half of pill would be no problem. I have taken Chantix for about 5 1/2 months.

#19 Procrastinator

Procrastinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Oh dear. I was hoping to get a clear cut answer on whether to step down or just quit taking it as directed. I guess every person's different.

Me, I love Chantix. That dopamine-blocking action seems to take the "kick" out of my other vices, caffeine and sugar, as well. And the only side-effect I have noticed is nausea -- pretty extreme during the first few weeks. I appreciate that too, though, because the woozy yucky feeling is more incentive to not smoke.

I have been on it for about six weeks now and am going into week three of not smoking at all.

After reading up on it a little more and reading the responses here, I'm thinking 21 days would be a good time to start cutting back? I'm really leery of going the entire 12 weeks and hoping I can be done when I finish this second prescription.

Does above make sense? I just finished a round of cancer treatment, so staying quit is a pretty life or death matter.
Nonsmoker since Dec. 10, 2011.

Posted Image

#20 Procrastinator

Procrastinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Just stumbled onto a treasure trove of Chantix user comments at http://www.topix.com... ... ntix&qb=Go. How to quit and long-term side effects are big topics. Sounds like my thoughts about getting off it sooner rather than later are good ones.
Nonsmoker since Dec. 10, 2011.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users