maryrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:55 AM

Hi everybody,
I am Maryrose from Brisbane, Australia...I have just had an operation 24 days ago and decided that after my hospital day I would stay off the cigarettes. It hasn't been as bad as I expected...I was smoking about 25 a day and have been a smoker for 30 years with previous attempts to give up failing after a week or so, but this time I am determined. I hope this site will give me inspiration when I feel tempted! :D
My question at this point is this, with the withdrawal of smoking does it affect your sleep patterns? I get to sleep OK but after a short while just toss and turn all night...I can't work out if it is no smoking or other results of my operation. Any comments much appreciated.
Thanks, Maryrose

#2 J/Q (JoAnn)

J/Q (JoAnn)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • LocationSeattle Washington

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:32 PM

and fantabulous YOU 24 days is so very awesome

I must run as I am late for work, but yes it can and often does interupt the sleep patterns , and can cause crazy dreams,, I will try to post more later but for now welcome to you I have another lovely OZgal pal her name is Shelly , keep your eyes peeled, she comes on from time to time, I smoked for 40 yrs , most two packs a day and just passed my four yr five mo anny ,, never give them a thought and so I hope you are healing from the op and are embracing the well being that is just getting better every day
Whatever we have done with our lives makes us what we are when we die. And everything, absolutely everything, counts.

#3 Guest_skittles_*

Guest_skittles_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

WELCOME ((((MaryRose)))) and CONGRATULATIONS on your Great Quit,

You are doing Very Well :) :) Keep Posting and keep the quit!! We are here for you :!:

Your Quit Friend, Skittles

#4 maryrose

maryrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:25 PM

Thank you so much for the support...I was so happy to read the responses when I logged in this morning - first thing I did even before breakfast! Glad to know that it can be the quitting that is disturbing my sleep...I can cope with that knowing that eventually it must get better (I hope!).
Anyway, here we go into day 25 and I'm still hanging in there...I wish I had the strength to do this years ago, but I'm thinking of all the extra money I will have and how I should now live longer.
I am getting encouragement from all the great posts on this forum, and how close to each other you all seem to be. I am taking the attitude that if you can all do it, I can too!!! :P

#5 Stephanie

Stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,110 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:38 PM

Excellent quit you have going on. I smoked 25 years (with about a zillion quits in between this one) and this place is great. Welcome...I am free for Eight months, two weeks, three days, 19 hours, 36 minutes and 1 second. 5216 cigarettes not smoked, saving $808.53. Life saved: 2 weeks, 4 days, 2 hours, 40 minutes.

You can do it! Believe in yourself and you can! I can't imagine smoking.

Steph

#6 pedro@easyquitsystem.com

pedro@easyquitsystem.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:47 PM

Congratulations - YOU CAN DO IT!

Restless nights are a well-known side effect of quitting smoking. I once tried quitting with the 24 hour patches and I could not sleep at all well untill I figured out that I never smoked when I was asleep anyway!!

When I did manage to quit a few years ago, I suffered from a very sore throat and headaches for a couple of weeks but nothing else. I think, having read lots about quitting smoking all over the internet and in books etc., that everyone has a different experience. I am sure it will pass soon and you'll not give it a second thought.

Remember that a few months of restless nights are a small price to pay for avoiding cancer/heart attack/stroke or Emphysema. Try some camomile tea or a horlicks before bed and promise yourself that you will never ever have another cigarette! (Even if you did have one, you'd be up all night beating yourself up and that wouldn't solve the problem!)

Best of luck
Pedro

#7 Shine

Shine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:48 AM

Congratulations! You are doing fantastic!! I too quit after surgery. That was my goal and as unbelievable as it sounds, I stuck too it. Good luck to you. I found that my sleep was disturbed and I had some wicked cool dreams, but I thought that may have been caused by my surgery. Still not sure which it is.

Good luck!

#8 jules

jules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, Wa

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:11 AM

Welcome Maryrose...i smoked for 35 years. Some of those years 2 packs a day. I found this bb and have been able to hang on to a great quit now for 23 months. If i can do it so can you!! So glad you found us. Come here and post instead of puff...that's the tickett!! :wink: ...jules One year, ten months, two weeks, four days, 9 hours, 20 minutes and 47 seconds. 13747 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,436.94. Life saved: 6 weeks, 5 days, 17 hours, 35 minutes.

#9 pedro@easyquitsystem.com

pedro@easyquitsystem.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

I found this on the University of Minnesota website regarding the side-effects of quitting smoking:

* Irritability, anger, hostility, anxiety, nervousness, panic, poor concentration, disorientation, lightheadedness, sleep disturbances, constipation, mouth ulcers, dry mouth, sore throat-gums- or tongue, pain in limbs, sweating, depression, fatigue, fearfulness, sense of loss, craving tobacco, hunger, and coughing (body getting rid of the mucus clogging the lungs).
* Symptoms may last from a few weeks to several months. After withdrawal subsides... urges for nicotine (for the effects of the drug) occur in response to all kinds of cues to smoke or chew.

When I quit and had the sore throat and headaches, I remember thinking if I started smoking again, they would go away. I know now it was all part of the mechanism for finding an excuse to start again... if I had started, I would just have had to go through all the misery again the next time I quit!

Hope this helps - cheers
Pedro

#10 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationBellevue, Nebraska

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:05 PM

Welcome Maryrose! Congratulations on your AWESOME quit. My wife quit the same day as you did... 25 days now... :shock: :D

Keep posting and keep educating yourself on how to stay quit and to understand this addiction so you can stay free of it. Hope to see more of you here Maryrose!

Scott

#11 jimmy009

jimmy009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts
  • quitdate:
    3/3/13
  • Locationcleburne texas

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

hi mary rose i am jimmy from texas.usa i also quit 24 days ago great job keep up yhe good work way to go.dont give up :)
  1. free-cool-smileys-268.gifc07cb18bad.pngz5vdtexo8.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users