54 replies to this topic

#1 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

Quitting smoking for alot of people can be a scary experience. After all, cigarettes have allways been by our sides to help us celebrate the good times and help us get us through the more trying times in our lives. They've comforted us when we were angry, stressed out or just feeling miserable from an event in life. They filled the void when life was mundane and they helped slow life down when it felt like it was going a little too fast for our taste. Cigarettes have been with us when no one else was there for us to lean on.

So now here we are, seperated from our cigarettes and waiting for our divorce papers to be drawn up, so to speak. We knew this was an unhealthy marriage, but now that cigarettes aren't with us, we might be feeling a loneliness and void that might be hard to deal with. Now we're just left with questions, uncertain of what life will be like without cigarettes.

We might start out with doubts about this divorce thing we voluntarily put ourselves through. We might ask oursleves "Will I fail and go back to this unhealthy marriage?", or " Will I actually succeed from the grip of cigarettes, know that ending this relationship was the best thing for me, but feel life isn't quite as good as it was when I was smoking."

The uncertainies of quitting. The fear of failure or success or the anxieties from craves or anticipation of craves are all things that might go through a new quitter's mind.

This is why I cannot reccomend enough to educating yourself about this addiction. Knowledge will help you erase fears you might have. It will build confidence and hope with your quit. Most importantly, it will destroy the fantasy of smoking. While you might not have the epiphany I did, I would like to share with you my experience of educating myself.

I was on a 2 day quit feeling hopeless. The craves felt like they were driving me crazy. I was scared and depressed, because in only 2 days I was giving up my quit. I was literally on my way to the store at work, when I asked the shipping guy if I could use his computer for a second. My junkie thinking was...well you can go on the internet, maybe find something that might help you quit in the future and then go to the store and get those cigarettes you need so badly. That way I might feel less quilty.

Anyway I got online and found WhyQuit.com and started reading. Allmost instantly my mood changed. Allmost instantly the fear started disappearing. It was like a revelation. For the first time ever with a quit, I started having hope. I sat there and read my whole lunch hour. I never did make it to the store for those cigarettes and here I am, just one week shy of 2 years quit.

Now why I may be happy that I'm 2 years quit, the point of sharing that was to show you the power that knowledge can give you and how quickly it can change your perspective on quitting. Ignorance gives you nothing but fear, doubts and can possibly keep that fantasy of smoking alive.That maybe you aren't an addict or that you can find a way around the law of addiction. Knowledge, on the other hand, will reinforce your desire to quit, not your doubts about doing it. It will erase that fantasy of smoking and will help you accept that you are a nicotine addict and no matter how many ways you try, you cannot rewrite the law of addiction. One puff= all puffs. It's a simple equation.

Remember, you don't have to be stronger than addiction, just smarter.
This where my own past failures have happened, by trying to be stronger than addiction. By trying to only have one. By trying to smoke when I wanted to. By trying to control how much I smoked. It never worked.
Knowledge will also give you a better perspective on something else too. You'll see that the whole first paragraph of this post is B.S!

You never needed cigarettes to help you celebrate the good times nor get you through the bad. They never comforted you when you were angry and stressed. They just replaced the nicotine you lost, because when you're angy or stressed you body metabolizes nicotine much faster.
Life is life, whether you smoke or not and life was life whether you smoked or not. All the good times you had while you smoked would have happened whether you smoked or not, as all the bad times also. Maybe though you had some bad times when you smoked that you might not have had if you didn't.

Though you might be going through some temporary adjustments now, life is life whether you smoke or not. There will be good times and there will be bad times. To steal a line from RobH. As long as you continue to quit, the good days will be become fantastic and the bad days will become challenges that you can deal with as You. Not(nicotine you).

Watch though, as time passes with your quit and life goes on and watch the benifits of not smoking. Will your breathing become more easier, because now you're not inhaling tobacco and 4000 other chemicals into your lungs every 30 minutes or so? Will you start a hobby or take on projects that before were just thoughts that occasionally past through your mind,because now you have more time and drive, by not stopping every 30 minutes or so to smoke? Will you be able to buy new things for yourself? Treat yourself to holiday trips or nice dinners out more frequently, because now you have extra cash that you didn't have when you smoked? You might want to change your job, because now you have more confidence in yourself now, I mean after all you overcame an addiction, what's changing jobs, right? Positve things like this can be endless, because quitting smoking is like a domino effect. Health, money, confidence, desire, drive and most importantly, comfort.. These are all positive effects that can happen from quitting.

Then there's the other side to life. The bad days after you quit smoking.
Maybe someone you know dies. You lose your job. The car breaksdown. You get into a fight with your spouse( Well this could happen in the begining of your quit, LOL) and so on and so on. These bad days are going to happen whether you smoke or not, but lets go back and look at the good things.

Now lets take the same timeline of possible positive things that happened when we quit and answer them if we didn't quit smoking. l If we didn't stop smoking, would our breathing be easier? Probably not. Would we start a new hobby or project? Maybe, but since we hadn't started one up until now, what are the chances. Will you buy new things, go on a trip, or out to nice dinners? I dunno, with the price of cigarettes now days, it's hard to find the extra cash for these treats. Will you change your job? Again maybe, but it sure helps to have that extra confidence. After all changing jobs can be scary, but if you quit smoking you allready know what major change is like and realize it's not as scary as you thought before you quit.

So again, life is life whether you smoke or not, but look at the possibilities of life if you smoke and life if you quit.

If you smoke, your possibilities are cancer, heart attack, buerger's diease( that's right, smokers have their own version of leprosy, that is mainly only found in smokers), emphysema, circulatory dieases, poor health and of course premature death.

If you quit, the positive possibilities are endless. I think that's what all of us want. To break free of this addiction and start living our lives the way we intended to, not the way nicotine addiction told us to.

Educate yourself. It will help you immensly. It will change your perspective on smoking and help change your perspective on life after smoking. I think everyone here deserves this gift. You WILL find comfort. It's not a matter of IF, just WHEN. Until then enjoy the little epiphanys you might have, even if you're having a crave.You are in control now not your addiction. Besides a crave cannot hurt you or kill you. Like the boogeyman, it only has as much power as you let it have.
Enjoy this journey, because it will only get better and better. Allways try to be patient. This is a great gift, sometimes it just takes alittle time to unwrap it.

Have a great no smoking day!!
LOL, I'm supposed to be painting the house right now!

Eric 8)

A few temporary craves with freedom from nicotine is a whole lot better than the constant craves being a slave to it!
  • Kate18, anm77, Smokefreetoday and 1 other like this

#2 Wendy

Wendy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:43 PM

Eric,

Thank you for that post.

I was sitting here shaking my head in agreement while I was reading it.

Now, go paint....what color are you painting?
"Today is....where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten." Natasha Bedingfield

#3 rob h

rob h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

fantastic and so so true (and an honour to be quoted i must say).education about nicotine addiction is definately the key.the uneducated quitter generally understands nothing about nicotine addiction and cannot conceive that the "pleasure"obtained from smoking is infact just a drug being replaced.the only chance of success,in my opinion, lies in seeing cigarettes as the poison fruit and blatent con trick that they undoubtedly are.this is only obtained by reading the works and words of people who have actually escaped from the situation(carr) (or never fallen for it in the 1st place)(spitzer). all too often the uneducated mind cannot see the woods for the trees and so is likely to repeat the same mistakes again and again (ad infinitum).

#4 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

#5 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

8)

#6 franko

franko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

Great Post. :D

#7 maryrose

maryrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:34 PM

great post Eric, I read and read again.
maryr :lol: ose
Posted Image
Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

#8 Mountaingirl

Mountaingirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,774 posts
  • LocationN Georgia Mountains

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

Quitting smoking for alot of people can be a scary experience. After all, cigarettes have allways been by our sides to help us celebrate the good times and help us get us through the more trying times in our lives. They've comforted us when we were angry, stressed out or just feeling miserable from an event in life. They filled the void when life was mundane and they helped slow life down when it felt like it was going a little too fast for our taste. Cigarettes have been with us when no one else was there for us to lean on.

So now here we are, seperated from our cigarettes and waiting for our divorce papers to be drawn up, so to speak. We knew this was an unhealthy marriage, but now that cigarettes aren't with us, we might be feeling a loneliness and void that might be hard to deal with. Now we're just left with questions, uncertain of what life will be like without cigarettes.

We might start out with doubts about this divorce thing we voluntarily put ourselves through. We might ask oursleves "Will I fail and go back to this unhealthy marriage?", or " Will I actually succeed from the grip of cigarettes, know that ending this relationship was the best thing for me, but feel life isn't quite as good as it was when I was smoking."

The uncertainies of quitting. The fear of failure or success or the anxieties from craves or anticipation of craves are all things that might go through a new quitter's mind.

This is why I cannot reccomend enough to educating yourself about this addiction. Knowledge will help you erase fears you might have. It will build confidence and hope with your quit. Most importantly, it will destroy the fantasy of smoking. While you might not have the epiphany I did, I would like to share with you my experience of educating myself.

I was on a 2 day quit feeling hopeless. The craves felt like they were driving me crazy. I was scared and depressed, because in only 2 days I was giving up my quit. I was literally on my way to the store at work, when I asked the shipping guy if I could use his computer for a second. My junkie thinking was...well you can go on the internet, maybe find something that might help you quit in the future and then go to the store and get those cigarettes you need so badly. That way I might feel less quilty.

Anyway I got online and found WhyQuit.com and started reading. Allmost instantly my mood changed. Allmost instantly the fear started disappearing. It was like a revelation. For the first time ever with a quit, I started having hope. I sat there and read my whole lunch hour. I never did make it to the store for those cigarettes and here I am, just one week shy of 2 years quit.

Now why I may be happy that I'm 2 years quit, the point of sharing that was to show you the power that knowledge can give you and how quickly it can change your perspective on quitting. Ignorance gives you nothing but fear, doubts and can possibly keep that fantasy of smoking alive.That maybe you aren't an addict or that you can find a way around the law of addiction. Knowledge, on the other hand, will reinforce your desire to quit, not your doubts about doing it. It will erase that fantasy of smoking and will help you accept that you are a nicotine addict and no matter how many ways you try, you cannot rewrite the law of addiction. One puff= all puffs. It's a simple equation.

Remember, you don't have to be stronger than addiction, just smarter.
This where my own past failures have happened, by trying to be stronger than addiction. By trying to only have one. By trying to smoke when I wanted to. By trying to control how much I smoked. It never worked.
Knowledge will also give you a better perspective on something else too. You'll see that the whole first paragraph of this post is B.S!

You never needed cigarettes to help you celebrate the good times nor get you through the bad. They never comforted you when you were angry and stressed. They just replaced the nicotine you lost, because when you're angy or stressed you body metabolizes nicotine much faster.
Life is life, whether you smoke or not and life was life whether you smoked or not. All the good times you had while you smoked would have happened whether you smoked or not, as all the bad times also. Maybe though you had some bad times when you smoked that you might not have had if you didn't.

Though you might be going through some temporary adjustments now, life is life whether you smoke or not. There will be good times and there will be bad times. To steal a line from RobH. As long as you continue to quit, the good days will be become fantastic and the bad days will become challenges that you can deal with as You. Not(nicotine you).

Watch though, as time passes with your quit and life goes on and watch the benifits of not smoking. Will your breathing become more easier, because now you're not inhaling tobacco and 4000 other chemicals into your lungs every 30 minutes or so? Will you start a hobby or take on projects that before were just thoughts that occasionally past through your mind,because now you have more time and drive, by not stopping every 30 minutes or so to smoke? Will you be able to buy new things for yourself? Treat yourself to holiday trips or nice dinners out more frequently, because now you have extra cash that you didn't have when you smoked? You might want to change your job, because now you have more confidence in yourself now, I mean after all you overcame an addiction, what's changing jobs, right? Positve things like this can be endless, because quitting smoking is like a domino effect. Health, money, confidence, desire, drive and most importantly, comfort.. These are all positive effects that can happen from quitting.

Then there's the other side to life. The bad days after you quit smoking.
Maybe someone you know dies. You lose your job. The car breaksdown. You get into a fight with your spouse( Well this could happen in the begining of your quit, LOL) and so on and so on. These bad days are going to happen whether you smoke or not, but lets go back and look at the good things.

Now lets take the same timeline of possible positive things that happened when we quit and answer them if we didn't quit smoking. l If we didn't stop smoking, would our breathing be easier? Probably not. Would we start a new hobby or project? Maybe, but since we hadn't started one up until now, what are the chances. Will you buy new things, go on a trip, or out to nice dinners? I dunno, with the price of cigarettes now days, it's hard to find the extra cash for these treats. Will you change your job? Again maybe, but it sure helps to have that extra confidence. After all changing jobs can be scary, but if you quit smoking you allready know what major change is like and realize it's not as scary as you thought before you quit.

So again, life is life whether you smoke or not, but look at the possibilities of life if you smoke and life if you quit.

If you smoke, your possibilities are cancer, heart attack, buerger's diease( that's right, smokers have their own version of leprosy, that is mainly only found in smokers), emphysema, circulatory dieases, poor health and of course premature death.

If you quit, the positive possibilities are endless. I think that's what all of us want. To break free of this addiction and start living our lives the way we intended to, not the way nicotine addiction told us to.

Educate yourself. It will help you immensly. It will change your perspective on smoking and help change your perspective on life after smoking. I think everyone here deserves this gift. You WILL find comfort. It's not a matter of IF, just WHEN. Until then enjoy the little epiphanys you might have, even if you're having a crave.You are in control now not your addiction. Besides a crave cannot hurt you or kill you. Like the boogeyman, it only has as much power as you let it have.
Enjoy this journey, because it will only get better and better. Allways try to be patient. This is a great gift, sometimes it just takes alittle time to unwrap it.

Have a great no smoking day!!
LOL, I'm supposed to be painting the house right now!

Eric 8)

A few temporary craves with freedom from nicotine is a whole lot better than the constant craves being a slave to it!

Fantastic post!

5a30d19fcf.png
Quit 10/8/2009

#9 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

OMG Mountain, where did you find this post? Wow this thing is over 3 years old!! Talk about a blast from the past. Kind of a fun re read. A little time capsule in a way. Thank you

While most of my posts are long (sorry it is a habit I cannot seem to break) this one is like a novelette.

Hey Samalie, see here? You got some novelette competition here :lol:
“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”~Rumi

#10 samIam

samIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:12 AM

I stole a great quote from there for my siggy.
Sam

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

#11 Mountaingirl

Mountaingirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,774 posts
  • LocationN Georgia Mountains

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:27 AM

Hi Eric-Well, I go back through the boards and dig up your old posts! lol

5a30d19fcf.png
Quit 10/8/2009

#12 fearsomeanna

fearsomeanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationBrandon, FL

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

Eric, wonderful post as always!

LOL Mountain I was scrolling up on this and looking at the dates - was equally amazed that you found this from three years ago! We should make you our official research librarian!! :D
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think ~ Dorothy Parker, on being asked to use "horticulture" in a sentence.

Posted Image

#13 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:03 AM

Thank you fearsomeanna. LOL I don't know why, but every date on this page is 5/8/2006. The date that I joined this site when it tranferred from the old site.

Hi Eric-Well, I go back through the boards and dig up your old posts! lol

Ut oh!! LOL if you're doing that, then you're seeing the good the bad and the ugly of Eric :lol: Did I just talk about myself in 3rd person?! :lol: Like Laurance Fishburne calls himself the fish and always talks about himself in 3rd person. "The fish wants..." LOL I always find that strange when people do that

LOL Sam, I dig the sig, but you don't have to keep E the wise on there lol.
“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”~Rumi

#14 samIam

samIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:12 AM

I like it. It stays. You're the white wizard of the forum/ You raise your staff and the nicodemon goes to his knees. LOL, I am such a dork.
Sam

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

#15 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:15 AM

LMBO

That's OK I am too and my wife says I am a dork too. Sometimes , well maybe more than that she looks at me like this :roll: LOL

oh speaking of which she is a callin for dinner! WWoohooo food!!

#16 fearsomeanna

fearsomeanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationBrandon, FL

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:19 AM

Sam, in light of that description, the question here becomes "Does Eric know Jedi mind tricks?"

If so, could you turn my Bucs into a football team? Please please please watching them lose repeatedly makes me sad :lol:
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think ~ Dorothy Parker, on being asked to use "horticulture" in a sentence.

Posted Image

#17 samIam

samIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:21 AM

wizard, not jedi. You're in the wrong fantasy.
Sam

#18 fearsomeanna

fearsomeanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationBrandon, FL

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:04 AM

Ah, dang. A girl can hope.

Posted Image

#19 samIam

samIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:17 AM

Posted Image
Sam

#20 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

:)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users