• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RICHNJ1

RICHNJ1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

On my fifth day of being smoke free using Chantix, It has been much easier for me than I ever thought possible. I have had some bad nausea with the full dose but I'll trade that any day over the cravings.. My question is what to expect after prescription period is over, side effects??
or returning craving issues. Any information or experience provided will be appreciated and applauded.

#2 bonnie

bonnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

Hi Rich, Welcome..

I didn't use chantix but there are a lot of chantix users on the board and they will be along shortly and answer your question.

I do know there are quite a few who are off the chantix now and had no problems with craves. The nicotine is out of your system..

Congratulations on your quit!

Bonnie
Free on 12/16/06

#3 Rete648

Rete648

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationWestchester County, NY

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:18 PM

Hi there Rich in NJ

I'm waving to you from the other side of the Hudson. Can you see me???? I can't pick you out of the crowd :wink:

I'm on Chantix, too. Today is day 16 of my quit on Chantix so I've been taking it for a little over three weeks now. If you search down the line you will see my posts on the nausea. The users here on Chantix suggested I halve the pill and take it four times a day instead of twice and it works great. No more nausea.

As for side effects when you are off of the Chantix, you won't have nicotine withdrawal, because you have not been using NRT as a means to quit. Since the pill only assists by making the cigs taste horrid before you stop while you are taking the pill, once you have quit you are already going through all the side effects of not smoking, i.e. nicotine withdrawal, cravings, etc.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I will ask him and report back on his take on it.

BTW Congratulations on your QUIT.

On my fifth day of being smoke free using Chantix, It has been much easier for me than I ever thought possible. I have had some bad nausea with the full dose but I'll trade that any day over the cravings.. My question is what to expect after prescription period is over, side effects??
or returning craving issues. Any information or experience provided will be appreciated and applauded.

After 45 years,

Posted Image
But What a Feeling of Accomplishment When You Achieve Something Hard to Do.
Hey Pop ... I'm Trying Again; Come Sit On My Shoulder.

#4 April

April

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,725 posts
  • quitdate:
    10/20/2007

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

:|

#5 RJ

RJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

Others on Chantix have also mentioned the nausea on this board.
They recommend eating a decent sized breakfast then takign the morning pill. Same thing with dinner - eat then take the pill. For some reason the full stomach stops the nausea.

They also have mentioned the crazy (and vivid) dreams. What a great "side effect" of the drug.

And congrats ona great decision to quit!
And congrats on day 5, Rich!

RJ aka Rich
Quit since 7/5/10

#6 Rete648

Rete648

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationWestchester County, NY

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

That didn't work for me RJ. I would have a roll and a hard boiled egg or cereal with a banana for breakfast and my pill and was so nausea I hated the thought of taking the next pill.

But taking 1/2 a pill instead works without causing any nausea at all.

#7 NJ Roe

NJ Roe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

I just happened to peak in, Hi there NJ Rich, I'm NJ Roe!Chantix is the bomb ain't it? 40 year smoker here, 2 packs a day, quit w/Chantix in Jan. Please stay on the pill for the whole 3 months, some people did 6 months ( I think that's optional). I and many others here did not have ANY side effects. I know I was really worried, but please don't be. First off.........CONGRATS on the 5 days WOOOOHOOOOO!! One day at a time my friend, try not to think too far ahead. When you lay your head on the pillow at night, be proud, very very proud that you did not smoke that day, and then, do it again the next day. The pill will help you tremendously, but YOU are the one doing it. And read....read all that you can on http://www.whyquit.com understanding the addiction will help you more than you think. And post here, you will never find a better group of people to help you through this. Unfortunatly I have not been able to be here much, but I leave you in the capable hands of these fine peeps! You are CHOOSING to stop smoking. Every day...it's a choice.

#8 syl

syl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hi RICHNJ1 !

Congratulations on your quit and welcome!

I don't understand anything about Chantix, but I understand about quitting. Mine is cold turkey, and what I can tell you that whatever the method, you made the right decision! You'll find here all the answers to your questions, there are so many people that can help you.

I wish you the best!

Syl :)

#9 mary

mary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts
  • Locationsan antonio

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:11 PM

Hi, Rich and welcome. I don't know anything about Chantix except what i've learned here. But I do know about quitting...and you my friend...have quit. Huge congrats on your 5 days. No matter what...just remember this one thing. As long as you NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF you will never smoke again. mary

#10 machias

machias

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

I have been off cigs for over a month. The chantex worked well for me as a back up prevention-but I never went to 2 mg and continue to cut the pills in half and stay at 1mg-but with that dosage I have never felt sick.

#11 Shannon

Shannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:43 PM

I used Chantix and never felt sick but also rarely remembered to take that 2nd pill. I quit taking them after 4 weeks and I had no withdrawls at all. I guess everyone is different but at least it is working and you are smoke free!!!!!!! Congrats.

#12 falkes

falkes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

Hey Rich,

I successfully quit with Chantix, starting this past June. I stopped using Chantix in late August and havent' had any side effects or suddent cravings. I know, I was worried about coming off of the medicine and WHAM! getting hit over the head with some monster craving, but I had no symptoms whatsoever.

Oh, and about the nausea thing . . . I didn't have any nausea, but my mother's an Registered Nurse and she recommended ginger candy for nausea. Apparently she's known a lot of chemo folks that found it useful.

Welcome to the site and to your new life.

Falkes
Quit June 13, 2007.

"A cigarette hanging from the lips of a woman is as sexy as a missing tooth on her smile."

--- Paul Carvel quotes (Belgian Writer and Editor, b.1964)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users