#1 newlife

newlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

My Dad, who is so proud of me for quitting, called me with the news Sunday. I also come from a family of eight children and our families grew up together on the same street and many of us have become lifelong friends. She and her husband became great friends of my parents. 79 is not that old. So sad. She quit in recent years but she smoked for many as well.

Joan A. Bancroft
BANCROFT - Joan A., nee Coyle, 79, of Bonita Springs, FL, passed away peacefully at her home surrounded by her family on October 7, 2007 from lung cancer. She and her husband came to the area in 1990 having previously resided in Waitsfield, VT, Franklin Lakes, NJ, Framingham, MA and Levittown, NY. Joan was born in Hollis (Queens), NY, and graduated from the Mary Louis Academy. In 1949, she married Martin J. Bancroft at St. Michael's R.C. Church, Flushing, NY. She and Martin raised eight happy children to have faith in the Lord. Survivors include her loving husband of 58 years, Martin J. Bancroft; children, Christine Tercyak, Dr. James (Kim) Bancroft, Rev. Martin J. Bancroft, Jr., Denise (Stephen) Farrell, Dennis (Karen) Bancroft, Scott (Madeleine) Bancroft and Glenn (Carolyn) Bancroft; and grandchildren, Robert, Michael, William, Ashley, Marie, Courtney, Ryan, Paul, Eric, Matthew, Lauren, Stephen, Jr., Maura and Cara. Joan was preceded in death by her son, Paul, in 1976, and her son-in-law, John Tercyak, in 2004. A Mass of Resurrection will be celebrated Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 10:00 AM at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Naples, FL. A Memorial Mass will be held Saturday, October 20, 2007 at 12 Noon at St. John Vianney R.C. Church, Hinesburg Rd., S. Burlington, VT. Interment will follow at Resurrection Park Cemetery, S. Burlington, VT. The family suggests memorials in Joan's name be directed to Joanne's House at Hope Hospice, 27200 Imperial St., Bonita Springs, FL 34134.
You can lose weight, but you can't lose emphysema!

#2 Stephanie

Stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

So Sorry to hear about your family friend. She sounds lovely and we all must remember that they did not have the education that we have today.

I pledge in honor of your friend today!

Steph
We are all Brothers
None goes his way alone
What we bring into the lives of others
Comes back into our own

my first free moment was 10/18/05 at 11:58 pm.
a very fine moment, and I did not even know it then.

#3 newlife

newlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

Thank you Steph

#4 kittyKat816

kittyKat816

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

My prayer's are with you ... ((((((((((((new))))))))))))) Iam sure Joan is smiling down upon you now and she too is very proud of you... We cannot control what life put's in our path.but we can control what we choose to do with ourself... Times like this makes it so difficult, going through the stress and sadness.. Be very proud of yourself for not reaching for that cigarette.. Thinking of you new.. let there be peace within.. Love Kat

Posted Image
Remember.. as long as you have life..it's never too late..and I chose to LIVE!!!!!!

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:59 PM

Sad and everyday it happens in every town in every nation.
As a society we have become so use to seeing smokers that
we accept lung cancer as a common cause of death now.

I still say tobacco is a drug and a drug full of terror in it's
later stages of intake into the human body.

Why it is legal is still a mystery as if they are not sure it
causes cancer yet? It is not hard to put 2 and 2 together.

Sorry for your loss of a friend in the family.
QUIT SMOKING AUDIO DOWNLOADS
(Thanks to Skip & Joel) http://www.whyquit.com/joel/#video

DEC 4 2006 = My freedom

#6 syl

syl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

Dear newlife,

I'm so sorry to hear about it, and have nothing more to add. What Kat said is so true.

#7 KarenLou

KarenLou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,732 posts
  • quitdate:
    8/1/13
  • Locationwisconsin, USA

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:30 PM

((((((((((((Newlife))))))))))))

#8 Sheila

Sheila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts
  • LocationWestern New York State

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:16 AM

Posted Image

Sorry about your friend, Newlife..

Sheila :D
Quit on 12-30-06

#9 newlife

newlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:53 AM

Thank you everybody. Just got a "feeling" that she wanted to serve to reinforce your wonderful quits. Congratulations everyone! Time is on your side :D
Love,
Newlife

#10 Suz111

Suz111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:01 AM

She smoked and lived until 79? wow she had a good life then.

#11 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

I think I would rather possess eyes that know no sight, ears that know no sound, hands that know no touch than a heart that knows no love. 4b frk

Those who stir the s*** pot should lick the spoon!

NOPE

#12 Rete648

Rete648

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationWestchester County, NY

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

She smoked and lived until 79? wow she had a good life then.

My father lived to 91 and smoked until he was in his 80's. He never had cancer and he lived a good life. He did have emphysema but still lived well on oxygen 24/7.

NL, my sympathies on the loss of your family friend. I'm sure you are right that she would be here herself encouraging us all to remain smokefree for the rest of our lives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users